Any downside to running older versions of software?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by musicguy7, Jul 30, 2011.

1. musicguy7 macrumors member

I have quite a few apps that I have not had the time and gotten around to updating yet to the most recent versions. Just curious, if there was any major downside to continue running these older versions on your comp and not the most recent updates with bug fixes, etc. Does it "hurt/damage" your computer/hardware at all realistically?

2. simsaladimbamba

It does not hurt your hardware.
    But what if you spend an hour or three to update them? Most applications have updaters built into them, so you don't need to go to the website.

3. musicguy7 thread starter macrumors member

Well a lot of them I actually have to go online, login and download/install updates. And most older versions seem to still work fine, so was just wondering if all was well to keep running them...

4. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Yes.

You could be in the middle of doing important work and have the whole computer crash. Other than that, no problemo.

And some software might have security issues; updates to that software fixes those problems. So if you're not worried that Rupert Murdoch is trying to get your personal info, again, no problemo.

Seriously though, it only takes a short time to upgrade stuff these days. If you aren't inclined to do so, then freeze your system; in other words, don't upgrade anything since it all works now. You still may have security issues, but since everything already works with everything you're pretty safe. But stuff you access online, like video, will eventually not work well.

Rob