Any downside to the refurbished models?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by steffi, Apr 24, 2015.

1. steffi macrumors 6502a

Have there been any unannounced changes in the components used in the iMac 5k?

2. roadkill401 macrumors 6502

roadkill401

Apple doesn't get as much money so their quest for total world domination is delayed by 2-3 seconds??

Nope. Refurb is a great way to get a better iMac for less outlay

3. cynics macrumors G3

In my experience their refurbished stuff could be passed off for new. And there isn't any changes either.

4. shaunp macrumors 65816

I got a refurb 2011 MB Air. It's been going strong ever since. It came in a different box, but otherwise it looked new to me. I would definitely go the refurb route again.

5. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502

My family and friends have bought every single Mac refurbished for as long as I can remember. It just doesn't make sense to buy new unless you want to customize.

6. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Lower resale value?

I will admit, I would rather buy a secondhand model from someone who bought the item brand new, as opposed to buying it from them, when they bought it refurbished.

It may be as good, but I would myself not wish to pay as much for two reasons, firstly in my mind it's virtually now 3rd hand, and secondly it was cheaper for them to buy in the 1st place.

7. DanTSX macrumors regular

None.

All of my Apple products, except for iPhones, have been refurbs.

The experience has been excellent.

I think they undergo a higher level of QC than retail units anyways.

Most of the reforms are probably just coming from people returning their apple products for ridiculous claims about screen brightness, color, artifacts, buzzing, too loud clicking, or any of the number of other mostly imaginary maladies that folks here wring their hands and get far too emotional over when new products are released. So let this be a big thank you to the folks that refuse to believe that they are "holding it wrong" ;) .

The ONLY downside to the refurb store is lack of custom configurations. However, by the time I am ready to buy, it seems that I have a number of suitable configurations to pick from. If you require a special snowflake build (nothing wrong with that) then refurb store is not for you (nor would the local apple store).

8. parkp81 macrumors member

I did come across some posts where some people received their new iMac Retina with free upgraded 295 GPU, but I did not get lucky like those few that did.

I recently got my base model iMac Retina from the Apple Refurb site. So far everything has been great. :D

I did not need a custom setup, so I saved some money going this route, and don't regret it one bit. I got the same warranty, and 14-day return period (which just passed for me).

9. clovehitch macrumors member

clovehitch

Any thoughts on buying a refurb 2012 model as opposed to a 2014? Conceivable the former has spent a *good* amount of time in someone's hands, compared to the other?

10. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

One of my older machines is a 2007 20" iMac, now running Yosemite.

It arrived looking brand new and it's been going 24x7 since 2007. Never had a problem with it. Not one.

Buy refurbished. Sometimes I think you just get surplus, brand-new stock in a plain brown box.

----------

More likely it's been sitting in a warehouse.

FYI, I bought another 2012 MacBook Pro several months ago (I wanted the built-in CD drive). It's like new. Brand new.