Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
I've been happy to run my early 2009 Mac Mini on OS X 10.8, Mountain Lion because later versions have not bought any significant benefits from my point of view.

Now the wired Apple keyboard I have enjoyed using for the past seven years has packed a sad. I have looked around locally for another. They were available until recently, but not now…..

Currently using the older, plastic Apple keyboard, which I got in 2005, but never did like

So, I'm thinking of getting a Magic Keyboard introduced last year, which seems OK to me. However, that would mean doing the upgrade to El Capitan. Are there any downsides to upgrading an older Mac Mini to OS X 10.11?

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
UK
I certainly found my 2009 machine ran very poorly with 2gb of RAM when I upgraded to whatever OS was released in 2013

I think it will run with 4, depends what you are doing (at the moment I have Safari open with a few tabs, Mail, VPN and a media download app, activity monitor running = using 4.25 of 8 on my Late 2009)

I would be tempted to look at an SSD over a RAM upgrade as a first step. It would be worth checking what chips you need and cost, when I upgraded a 2008 MBP 6 was max (2+4) but 4 (2+2) was much cheaper and with an SSD too that machine runs pretty well. Also for more recent 2012 MBP I put in 2+8 = 10 as single 8 chip was cheaper than 4+4. Worth looking at all the options

Last edited:

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Another "me too" here. :) As I've said elsewhere, my mother is running a 2009 Mini on El Capitan, and performance-wise it runs fine. However, the Mini needed to be upgraded to 4 GB of RAM to accomplish this; the more recent versions of OS X consume a lot more memory resources. Beyond that, however, I see no downsides to the more modern OS.

kiwipeso1

Suspended
Sep 17, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
I've been happy to run my early 2009 Mac Mini on OS X 10.8, Mountain Lion because later versions have not bought any significant benefits from my point of view.

Now the wired Apple keyboard I have enjoyed using for the past seven years has packed a sad. I have looked around locally for another. They were available until recently, but not now…..

Currently using the older, plastic Apple keyboard, which I got in 2005, but never did like

So, I'm thinking of getting a Magic Keyboard introduced last year, which seems OK to me. However, that would mean doing the upgrade to El Capitan. Are there any downsides to upgrading an older Mac Mini to OS X 10.11?

It won't run with the magic keyboard introduced last year though, your bluetooth is too old.

Reactions: Micky Do

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
It won't run with the magic keyboard introduced last year though, your bluetooth is too old.

Thanks for that…. not the answer to the question I asked, but it is the reply I needed.

Went into the Apple place in town today, where that are usually quite good. Discovered they can order the large wired keyboard for me; 1,900 baht for the English model and 2,500 for the English / Thai version; pay in advance, with a delivery time of about a week. I paid for the English model …… and waited…... and waited for them to put the order through…….. and then they said it would be at least a month (no stock and Apple aren't taking new orders till next month), but I could have an English / Thai version in a week.

Didin't have the cash in my wallet, so canceled the order. Might go back tomorrow, or might find look for a second hand small model.

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Just as an aside, there are lots and lots of good keyboards out there. :) I find Apple's keyboards uncomfortable myself (not enough key travel, and the flat key surfaces just don't feel right). Also, they're pretty darn expensive. ;) This is not to say that you shouldn't get an Apple keyboard, but if you haven't looked at keyboards from other manufacturers lately, you might want to give them a try...

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
Just as an aside, there are lots and lots of good keyboards out there. :) I find Apple's keyboards uncomfortable myself (not enough key travel, and the flat key surfaces just don't feel right). Also, they're pretty darn expensive. ;) This is not to say that you shouldn't get an Apple keyboard, but if you haven't looked at keyboards from other manufacturers lately, you might want to give them a try...

Yes, there are lots of good keyboards out there, and some can even be had with Apple configuration, but pickings are fairly scarce where I live. I have seen nothing that takes my fancy. And yes, Apple keyboards are pricey; 1,900 baht is about two days pay for me. However, current and recent offerings work for me.

Mail order is not an option; I don't have a credit card or other means of paying. There there would be local customs to deal with, which can be inconvenient and costly!

The earlier Apple keyboard that I am using now, and many others on the market have way too much key travel for me, but each to their own!

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
You are going to want 8GB of Ram. It will run on 4 but it may be very sluggish on older hardware.

Can't stress this point enough. 8 GB of RAM or bust for 10.10 and 10.11.

Mine runs nicely, but I'll be one of the first to admit that Windows 10 runs better on it (because of drivers and one app that I need Java for).

Nospig

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2011
Bangkok, Thailand
Mail order is not an option; I don't have a credit card or other means of paying. There there would be local customs to deal with, which can be inconvenient and costly!

Have you looked at the Thai online Apple store? You can order online and then pay at a 7-Eleven or a bank, no credit card required. They have English back now as well.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
It is pretty easy to just disable SIP if that is all that is holding you back.

http://osxdaily.com/2015/10/05/disable-rootless-system-integrity-protection-mac-os-x/

Thanks Weaselboy. Unfortunately at least in one case the developer stopped making the software altogether due to SIP's existence, regardless of whether or not people can disable it. And it was one of my favorite utilities, BootChamp.

http://kainjow.tumblr.com/post/128933657269/bootchamp-and-el-capitan

Reactions: Weaselboy

for this

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2014

Actually it does. The Bluetooth in the OP's mini is 2.1+EDR which is not too old for it.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/10/19/review-apple-magic-keyboard-trackpad-2/

"but Apple doesn’t specify either the version of Bluetooth the Magic Keyboard is using, or a mandatory Bluetooth version required by your Mac. During testing, my Bluetooth 2.1 (late 2011) iMac and Bluetooth 4.0 2013 Retina MacBook Pro both paired without complaint; both were running OS X 10.11 El Capitan."

Apple doesn't specify the version of Bluetooth needed for it.
System Requirements:
Bluetooth-enabled Mac computer with OS X v10.11 or later
iOS devices running iOS 9.1 or later

Last edited:

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Another person happy with El Capitan on a early 2009 Mac Mini. Was running 4 GB, but just upgraded to 8 GB. Additional memory made no real different in performance with my workload. I upgraded to 8G because Sierra looks to be bigger with all of the Siri integration.

kiwipeso1

Suspended
Sep 17, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
Actually it does. The Bluetooth in the OP's mini is 2.1+EDR which is not too old for it.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/10/19/review-apple-magic-keyboard-trackpad-2/

"but Apple doesn’t specify either the version of Bluetooth the Magic Keyboard is using, or a mandatory Bluetooth version required by your Mac. During testing, my Bluetooth 2.1 (late 2011) iMac and Bluetooth 4.0 2013 Retina MacBook Pro both paired without complaint; both were running OS X 10.11 El Capitan."

Apple doesn't specify the version of Bluetooth needed for it.
System Requirements:
Bluetooth-enabled Mac computer with OS X v10.11 or later
iOS devices running iOS 9.1 or later

I have the same model iMac. It doesn't work with Magic Keyboard 2, which is the model referred to as last year's model keyboard.

Reactions: Jambalaya

for this

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2014
OK, I don't want to go on about the device I'm not using. But Magic Keyboard "2" has not existed yet. The current one is called just "Magic Keyboard" and it's the same model 9to5 tested in the review.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
I have 10.11 on a 2009 mini here, and it runs well enough. Granted, I have a 240GB SSD and 8GB of RAM in it, but I'm still impressed at how well it runs. I'm used to 10.11 on a Mac Pro 5,1 Hex with 40GB of RAM and an SSD, so that's my frame of reference :)

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA

You could also pick up a Logitech keyboard which does use if no Mac sub keyboards are around. Did you try craigslist for used keyboards (if that's an option)?

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
You could also pick up a Logitech keyboard which does use if no Mac sub keyboards are around. Did you try craigslist for used keyboards (if that's an option)?

Thanks for the suggestion.

Yes, I have seen Logitech keyboards advertised that look good, and reviews suggest the same, but from what I have seen they are not available in the shops around where I am. Craiglist and most other on-line sources are not an option. Cash is my only option for paying.

I did go back to the local Apple dealer, and coughed up the 2,500 baht for an Apple English/Thai wired keyboard, which is probably the best option for my purposes. It arrives in the next day or two, and should see me right for several years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.