Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dry Rot

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2009
Australia
I'm interested in buying Dragon Dictate (I think the latest version is 2.5), but have read wildly conflicting reviews of it - seems people are either really happy with it or think its absolute rubbish.

Any Dragon Dictate users here? How do you find it?

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I have Dragon Dictate. As someone with the patience of a three year old, I find using it a bit more trouble than it's worth.

Since I seldom need to write anything more that a few paragraphs, I find setting it up and then having to make the few corrections necessary along with editing a little more time consuming than just using my pitiful hunt and peck, two finger typing.

A couple of important notes - I have not spent sufficient time familiarizing myself with all the capabilities of the program. If I were writing longer documents, I would spend the necessary time to learn. If you take the (relatively brief) time necessary to go through the "teaching" process, the accuracy is really quite good. Also, the program comes with a headset mic, which is OK because it's hands free, but you're attached to your computer by the headset cable. You do have the option of a (free) iPhone app allowing you to use your iPhone as the mic, which unplugs you from you computer.

If I were creating long documents, I would use Dragon Dictate. My understanding is that Nuance (the maker of Dragon stuff, as well as Siri) makes among the most accurate speech to text around.

Whatever you decide - good luck...:D

touchmonkey

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
Have used Dragon (PC) since it came out. Have also used IBM ViaVoice and Microsoft's built in. They are/were all servicable, Dragon the best. I'm running v11 and it rocks. Also use Dragon on iPhone and iPad.
I can't live without a voice to text program.

diannetrussell

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2010
Australia
Hi Dragon Dictate users,
Can anyone help me get 2.0 that runs on OS 10.6.8?
I have spoken with Nuance and they cannot supply me with an old copy of DD. I have tried torrents, which all fail. I have tried ebay, without success - no-one will ship the box to Australia. I have downloaded copies only to find that they ask for the license key after 4 days, which wasn't supplied. So I asked Nuance if I could buy an old license key from them and they said they cannot supply me with one (they don't have any). So I tried license key generators for old versions, and they all fail or are malware. All the other internet sites saying they can sell it to me get blocked by my malware-trappers too. I need Dragon Dictate 2. Can anyone give me or sell me a working licensed copy, or point me to another user who can?
Thanks heaps.

P.S. In case you're wondering, no I can't update my OS from 10.6.8 to anything later, or get a new computer. I'm on a disability pension, and it would cost $6,000 to buy a new computer and matching versions of all the software I have - impossible at this time. Plus I have essential programs that run on 10.6.8 but no later OS and can't be obtained any more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.