Any drawbacks in upgrading to Maverick?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by tpcollins, Dec 20, 2013.

1. tpcollins macrumors member

I got my Macbook Pro just over a year ago and immediately upgraded from Lion to Mountain Lion. So now I can upgrade to Maverick for free - just wondering if anyone's regretted doing so?

I got an iPhone 5S at the end of October and love how it syncs with the Mac, I assume it should be as good? Thanks.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There are quite a few posts here from users who have had some troubles, but I think the vast majority of users are doing fine with it. I think reading forums like this you get a bit of a skewed view of problems since most people will only come here and post if they have trouble.

I updated and everything is working fine for me. My iPhone 5S syncs just fine.

Make a Time Machine backup before you update, then you can easily roll back if you have problems.

3. tpcollins thread starter macrumors member

Thanks weaselboy, ail everything look the same afterwards or will I see a lot of changes to the desktop and how everything operates? Thanks.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The dock looks a bit different, but works the same. Other than that everything is pretty much like it was as far as how things worked.

5. deluxeshredder macrumors 6502a

I found Mavericks to be a great update. It is just a refined Mountain Lion.

6. janitor3 macrumors regular

I've updated my 2011 mbp and my 2010 Mac mini to Mavericks. The install was hassle free, only problem is with my mini, it just refuses to run on wireless for anymore than 5 mins, but my MacBook runs wireless no problem.
    I have re-installed mavericks twice now, and the problem's still there. I have now restored from backup to 10.8.5. on the mini.
    I have tried most of the solutions given still doesn't work. :(

7. Prise macrumors regular

Likewise, but there's always a degree of apprehension whenever upgrading to a new OS (kind of like firmware).

All things being equal, I've always opted to save my files and do a fresh install. I find it works better in the long run than upgrading over an prior existing OS.

Thus far, I've no none of the issues I've read about regarding Mavericks. Everything has worked as advertised for me. I find the improvements and features well worth the upgrade.

8. Bear macrumors G3

If everything is working and there is nothing you need Mavericks for you might want to wait until 10.9.2.

Having said that, you need to make sure all the software you use will work on Mavericks. And if you use Pages, Numbers and/or Keynote you need to realize the latest version that only runs on Mavericks is still missing features that you may care about.

9. HenryDJP macrumors 603

TPcollin, best thing for you to do is create a partition and install Mavericks and see for yourself. Asking people how they like it means nothing. Everyone has different taste. TPcollin, if you decide to do the partition thing then you will have to Google on how to create a bootable drive of Mavericks for a clean install.:)

10. Eithanius macrumors 65816

Not necessarily, just copy out the Mavericks installer, say to the Desktop, run the installer from there. When prompted for installation target, just click Show All Disks and point the destination to the newly created partition.

It works for me all the time, a clean install without the need of a bootable drive...

11. CarreraGuy macrumors regular

CarreraGuy

Running great on my little old 13" MBP, see my sig :) My iMac 21.5" had some issues unrelated to Mavericks but is now <knock on wood> running fine.

Installing a new OS is taxing on the system and if something is on the edge of failure, be it a: hard drive, nvram, ram, etc. the very act of installing the OS can cause something to go over the edge. It may appear the OS is at fault but in reality the root cause was the act of install.

12. Lyn2012 macrumors regular

If you currently sync your Contacts and Calendar via USB, then don't "upgrade" to Mavericks as this function has been removed - you have to let all your data be stored on other people's (i.e.not your own) servers just to sync your phone and computer. Big FAIL Apple.

13. MacMan988 macrumors 6502a

I upgraded to Mavericks and everything works well. I have 4GB of RAM and my computer used to struggle when I open Parallels and have safari opened in the same time and I was thinking of buy some more RAM. But with Mavericks, the problem seems to be completely gone!

14. Eithanius macrumors 65816

Bug them via Feedback please... ;)