Any Early 2009 iMac owners upgrading to new iMac???

Discussion in 'iMac' started by icemantx, Oct 23, 2009.

  1. icemantx macrumors regular

    Mar 16, 2009
    I have an early 2009 iMac 24" with a 2.93 GHz processor, GT120 graphics and a 1TB HD. While I have to say the new iMacs are nice, I am not so sure that selling mine on eBay and forking over a few hundred dollars more for the new iMac would be worth it.

    Likely I will stick with what I have since there is nothing wrong with my iMac (only had it since March).

    I am curious if anyone out there is considering selling their Early 2009 iMac to buy a new Late 2009 iMac? If so, why? Screen? Performance?
  2. samcraig macrumors P6

    Jun 22, 2009
    I'm on the same - and with the same timetable. And I'm waiting. The iMac I have is great for my uses (and I do video editing). Would a faster processor (am thinking the quad core) and bigger screen be nice to have? Sure. But I'm ok waiting another 12 or so months to get more usage out of my current system and to see what the next refresh of the iMac is then. Perhaps costs will come down and/or there will be more quad cores/other features available. As soon as you buy a system, there will always be something right around the corner that is bigger/better/faster. So I'm in no rush to go this "round"
  3. NATO macrumors 68000


    Feb 14, 2005
    Northern Ireland
    I've just sold my 3.06GHz 24" iMac (Early 2009) basically because of the screen. I've always thought the pixel density of the 24" was a bit lacking (especially as I've gotten used to the high-res MacBook Pro 17" display), and I hated the warm-up the screen had. LED backlighting, higher pixel density and higher resolution sold it to me (plus the inclusion of the Magic Mouse is nice).

    Only problem I have is whether to wait for a Quad Core i7 27" model or go with the 3.06 Core 2 Duo. Just trying to debate whether it's worth paying the extra and having to wait until sometime in November for it.
  4. MTI macrumors 65816

    Feb 17, 2009
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I think every Craigslist site in major markets has seen a bump in 24" iMacs being offered for sale in the last four days. :D
  5. Hellhammer Moderator


    Staff Member

    Dec 10, 2008
    I'm not. I paid 1850€ for this plus AppleCare 179€ and that gives a total of 2029€. Now, the base 27" costs 1499€ and it only has worse GPU, everything else is better, so I figured that I would get 1500€ max, but maybe 1300-1400€ would be realistic. That means I'd lose approximately 650€. Then I'd have to get the high-end 27" because low-end would not have any improvement so that would cost at least 1799€, so I would have to pay at least 400€ + AppleCare to get some improvement from my current. IMO not worth it. Moreover, selling it in Finland may be quite hard because there aren't many buyers and I don't trust eBay so much to sell 2000€ Mac there
  6. PurrBall macrumors 65816


    Oct 25, 2007
  7. Aadhil macrumors regular

    Aug 4, 2009
    Same here. I bought my imac 2 months ago.
  8. MTI macrumors 65816

    Feb 17, 2009
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Frankly, I'm waiting for the deals on the used 24" ones that are going to be sold by the "must have latest and biggest" buyers.

Share This Page