Any easy way to completely remove an app?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by forza69, Oct 10, 2013.

1. forza69 macrumors 6502a

forza69

I know how to delete apps using the finder method but what I don't find the easiest is deleting the files that aren't so obvious that are tied to that app. For example, I'm trying to delete Opera web browser. I go to finder > Opera > Show all in Finder > + > Kind > Other > System Files > are included
    A huge list of things come up, emails, messages, documents, style sheets, dat files and application. Other than deleting the obvious application, how do I figure out what other files are tied to it? Sometimes with other apps I'll see the name of the app somewhere in the name of that file but this time it's not so simple. Any advice?

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

http://www.freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/

3. forza69 thread starter macrumors 6502a

forza69

4. speedplay1 macrumors newbie

AppTrap

There is an incredibly quick and easy to use app that removes all program associated files when you drag a software program to the garbage can to remove it: It's called AppTrap. I used it for two years and it's incredible!

AppTrap is free and can be found at onnati.net or at download.cnet.com

Once you've used it, you won't ever trust complete program and associated file removal to any other app!

5. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

Came to post this. AppCleaner is as close as you're gonna get to a standard "uninstall" system for every app. It doesn't always get everything, but it gets a hell of a lot more than you'd get from simply deleting the .app package and nothing else. I've been using it for about a year now and have been extremely impressed by it.

6. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

I agree with the AppCleaner recommendations. It does a nice job and rarely tags something for deletion erroneously. That said, always lookover what it says are related files before deleting an app.