Any easy way to get dents out of a G5 case?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Jake0604, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Jake0604 macrumors regular

I picked this dual 2.0ghz G5 up off craigslist for $30. It works fine but the case is quite beat up. Any easy way to get dents out of the case?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

The top handle can be done by hand easy enough. Others with the handle of a screwdriver (plastic) by hand and carefully

3. ctmpkmlec4 macrumors 6502

ctmpkmlec4

I found an empty case and utilized the outer skin to make a dent-free case. Those G5 cases can be completely disassembled, but it's cumbersome work. You have to strip out ALL the internal components just to get the case itself apart. This includes the computer hardware, hard drive bays, power supply and upper self. Easiest way to do it is transfer your parts from the dented case to a good one. I wanted the serial numbers to match between the logic board and the case which is why I went through the trouble of removing components and replacing the dented part of the case.

This link gives you an idea of how much of a PITA it is to remove the upper shelf assembly: http://www.tonymacx86.com/powermac-g5/77205-how-remove-g5-upper-shelf.html

4. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

you must be a lot stronger than I am. I had a G5 with bunt up handles, and that aluminum is a really hard material. I sure couldn't bend it, especially not by hand.

5. ctmpkmlec4 macrumors 6502

ctmpkmlec4

It's tough stuff. You need an auto body hammer and maybe a torch. I'm exaggerating just a little bit...

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Joys of manual labour lol

7. proxyLain macrumors newbie

proxyLain

For $30, i would say that you'll have to live with it. The handle should be too hard to fix, but guess that's pretty much it.

8. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

Indeed, I've had two of these that arrived broken. I used everything in my workshop on them, and after a week of hard work nothing happened. These delivery companies must treat them like absolute crap! :/

9. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Maybe a rubber mallet? Or disassemble the case and use a piece of wood and a vice.