Any easy way to get DVD player to work on ext. drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NC MacGuy, Oct 17, 2009.

1. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Okay so I did the optibay & SSD thingy a few months ago on my MBP and then the MBA Superdrive mod. so I can use the MBA SD w. my MBP. All that works peachy, hardware-wise anyhow.....

Now for the rub:
    I've looked a fair bit and can't seem to find any way remotely easy to use the Apple DVD Player app. with my SD & optibayed MBP. VLC works but it isn't nearly as elegant or easy to use. I've scabbed up two loadings of Snow Leopard trying to replace frameworks/DVD files to get this to work. Interesting that the MBA can use DVD Player with the modified SD & all other computers w. an attached optical can use DVD Player too.

Has anyone been able to hack this easily? The only thing I can find is Macbidouille did an Hex edit of the framework/dvd file but there's quite a bit lost in translation. This should be the same problem any ext. DVD player has.

Any help is appreciated.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. Bear Hunter macrumors 6502a

Bear Hunter

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

All good, I miss crap all of the time. :) But since it will also affect me in the long run when I buy my MBP, have you tried that method and if so, care to explain how?

5. Bear Hunter macrumors 6502a

Bear Hunter

Upon rereading it seems like the OP did not try the binary hack because of translation.

1. Get a Hex editor
    2. Make a backup of the "DVDplayer" file
    3. Open Hex editor
    4. Search for all instances of "internal"
    5. Replace all instances of "internal" with "external"
    6. Save

Here is the Hex Editor I use:
    http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/development_tools/0xed.html

6. Bear Hunter macrumors 6502a

Bear Hunter

I believe if your running Snow Leopard you will not have to do the binary hack. Apparently SL DVD player can be used both internally and externally.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Well if it's that easy and that works then you're awesome!

Edit: I believe the OP is running SL. I could be wrong.

8. NC MacGuy thread starter macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Thanks. Been to both those places. The French site refers to editing files but doesn't give any explanation that I can make sense of and the DVD Patch is way old and not viable for SL.

It would be nice if there was even a decent third-party DVD Player app. but nothing I can find for my cheap ass.:eek:

You're mistaken. Can't run it with an ext. drive without some sort of hack - hardware or software. Tried three different drives and like I said, corrupted two SL loads trying. They were all USB drives and work in every way but DVD Player.

9. Bear Hunter macrumors 6502a

Bear Hunter

Instructions in post #6. The path to find "DVDplayer" should be in the link.

Are you saying that your using Snow Leopard and the DVD app does not work on external dvd drive?

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm with you, I would never pay for a DVD player app. VLC has always been fairly nice to me but I like the auto-launch of the DVD app.

11. Bear Hunter macrumors 6502a

Bear Hunter

Make a backup of "DVDplayer" file from the following path:

/System/Library/Frameworks/DVDPlayback.framework/Versions/A

Open hex editor and follow instructions in post #6 and see if it works. I believe the SL DVDplayer file has more than 4 instances of "internal". If it doesn't work overwrite the hacked file with the copy you backed up and reboot, you haven't lost anything.

12. Bear Hunter macrumors 6502a

Bear Hunter

Or you could run these terminal commands:

These commands allow non Macbook Airs to use the remote CD feature. Maybe try this and see if your DVD app works with an external dvd drive before you do the hack.

I used the above commands on a Netbook that I have Snow Leopard running on and it does work. I don't have an external dvd drive, or I would be able to tell you which option worked:

[​IMG]

13. NC MacGuy thread starter macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Thank you. Searched for quite a while and couldn't find it this. Will try!!

14. Bear Hunter macrumors 6502a

Bear Hunter

Make sure you reboot. You have to reboot for it to take effect

15. NC MacGuy thread starter macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Nope, doesn't work. Same error I've been getting:

Attached Files:

16. Bear Hunter macrumors 6502a

Bear Hunter

Did you reboot? It doesn't look like it because the terminal window is still open.

17. NC MacGuy thread starter macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Yepp. Same thing. Redid without trying before boot, same result. I think I'm going in for the Hex editor now. One of the beauties of an optibay is two drives with two or more OS's to screw up.:eek:

18. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

19. Bear Hunter macrumors 6502a

Bear Hunter

Just make a copy of the file and save it in a document folder before you hack it. That way you can always overwrite the hacked file with the original and you'll be back to where you started.

Once you do it...do a reboot and let me know.

20. Bear Hunter macrumors 6502a

Bear Hunter

I just looked at the help file for the dvd player on SL. I wonder why it says this? :confused:

[​IMG]

Have you tried reinstalling DVD player app from SL DVD?

21. NC MacGuy thread starter macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Tried the Hex editor route again. I just get pure fail instead of error code like before:

Screen shot 2009-10-17 at 4.40.52 PM.png

The problem with DVD Player & Apples blurb is you need an onboard DVD player to use DVD Player w. an ext. DVD player - unless you're using an Air. So they aren't exactly lying but they are massaging the truth to happy ending.... the key words are "has a DVD drive...."

22. Bear Hunter macrumors 6502a

Bear Hunter

There has to be a terminal command to enable the DVD player, if it works on a MBA. Go ahead and replace the DVDplayer file with the one you backed up. I'll do some searching and see what I can find.

23. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

But I've used an external modded SD on my air (the MB Air SD modded to work on any mac) and it launched the DVD player. I didn't think the Air needed a hack.

24. NC MacGuy thread starter macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

GREAT SUCCESS!! Long story short is you can't get this done easy and it appears the Hex editor is the only way around it. This will be my second week trying replacing files, reloading SL, trying to find other players, rebooting, playing w. Hex editor, reloading SL.....

It will work fine w. my MBA too. That isn't the problem. I wanted my MBA SD to work on my optibayed MBP. Hack hardware on MBA SD, hack software on MBP seems to be only solution.

This has been quite an exercise but now I've got the X25 160 G2 as main drive, WD Scorpio Blue 500 as secondary and a working MBA SD for when I need an optical. I IZ happy!! Next operation is to remove glass and replace w. a MBA bezel.

Thanks for your help jessica. & Bear Hunter.:eek:

I am now watching Larry and as expected, screen shots won't work!

Attached Files: