Any easy way to restore without disk?

$MacUser$

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2005
Los Angeles
Is there any easy way to restore a (leopard) system without the factory disk? If not, is it possible to manually go in and delete everything? If so, where would one find system preferences, key chain for pass codes, other sensitive information, etc?

Gregg2

macrumors 603
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Disk Utility will allow you to wipe the disk. Once that's done, you need a physical disc to put anything back on that drive.

$MacUser$

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2005
Los Angeles
Disk Utility will allow you to wipe the disk. Once that's done, you need a physical disc to put anything back on that drive.
Is it possible to do something like create a new User, switch that user to admin and then delete everything else?

Gregg2

macrumors 603
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Securely? No.

EDIT: Oops! Thought of the free space thing after I left for awhile. I see that Weaselboy beat me to the punch. I use TechTool Pro for that, and wasn't sure that Disk Utility had that option. I'll take the Weasel's word for it.

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Is it possible to do something like create a new User, switch that user to admin and then delete everything else?
Yes. Just delete the old user data when asked as you remove the account. Then go to your new account and start Disk Utility and do a secure erase of free space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.