Any (educated) guesses on displayport 1.3 arrival?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bbbrisco, Mar 20, 2015.

1. bbbrisco macrumors newbie

Anyone have reason to believe a riMac with displayport 1.3 will arrive in the fall, or a MBP with same for that matter?

I'd really hate to buy a current offering without being able to (eventually) drive a 5k external monitor, but I'll likely be needing to buy either an iMac or MBP by Christmas at the latest (Sept would be ideal, Oct okay).

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

When Skylake-H and Thunderbolt 3 come together, DP1.3 will come as well.

3. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

As yjchua95 stated, it's expected to be incorporated into Thunderbolt 3, which is expected to be included with Intel's Skylake architecture. The anticipated timeframe for Skylake to arrive is in the third quarter of 2015 (optimistic) to early 2016.

I would assume that Apple has an incentive to refresh their systems with Skylake (assuming it includes Thunderbolt 3 and Displayport 1.3) as it would also allow them to release a 4K or 5K Apple display, as well. However, there's a chance that the refresh could use Intel's Broadwell chipsets, instead, which were delayed and currently aren't in use on any iMac line (current iMacs, including the retina iMac, are using the previous generation, the Haswell architecture). In other words, even if Skylake releases on time, it may be too late for Apple's refresh (assuming a refresh over the summer or in the autumn), and we may be stuck waiting until some time into 2016 for Skylake/Displayport 1.3 support.