Any effect allow you to make a daytime shot night time?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jayeskreezy, Apr 29, 2007.

1. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

I'm looking for an effect that will give my video shot during the day a feel at night. I need to be on public transportation when this happens but I can only shoot during the day.

Anyway, let me know if this exceeds the video technology limits. Thanks in advance!

oh yeah I use FCE

2. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

Make a blue-ish still in PS or whatever, then put it one vid track up on your timeline and set the mode to overlay.

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Making it look authentic is difficult and the effect is almost entirely achieve while shooting. You can try using FCE color correction filter to make it darker and give it a bluish hint and experiment from there.

Lethal

4. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

If you had Final Cut Pro you could get Nattress's Film filters, he has one called "Day for Night", which does what you asks.

5. bimmzy macrumors regular

bimmzy

The effect you're looking for is called "day-for-night".

Some of what can be done to make it look like night can be done in post, but you also you need to think about exposure on location too.

A rule of thumb is to expose more for the sky than for peoples faces. but this is a guide only.

Do try to avoid over exposure, so that anything white does not hit the "clippers" (the very top of the video level in a video scope ... zebra in the camera) ste your zebra low sey 75% if you can.

Experiment first if you can.

hope it goes well! :D

6. faustfire macrumors 6502a

faustfire

Digieffects delirium also has a day for night filter.

7. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

It traditionally achieved with a blue filter and shot underexposed. It will not look perfect no matter what, but it'll be the best you can do.

For more tweaking, pull the mid and basetones down in the three-way color corrector.

8. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

yall are the best...i will try to do those things

underexposed is bad lighting right?

9. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

It means you have your aperture closed enough that the image looks darker than you would normally have it appear (because the iris isn't letting in as much light). If you don't have control over exposure/f-stop, another way to make things darker is to increase your shutter speed, which I think most cameras will give you control over.

10. Mydriasis macrumors 6502

Mydriasis

Cooling the image is not enough, you also need to desaturate a bunch.

11. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

I agree.

12. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

When you say you need to be on public transport, what do you mean? If you are, eg, filming some people on a train, day for night is pretty much useless. On a train at night there are usually florescent lights lighting the carriage and it will look totally black out of the windows. In the day the light will be coming in from the windows. Day-for-night cannot replicate this.

Day-for-night is more suited to outdoor shoots, but it can be used elsewhere - I used it to shoot a bedroom scene (nothing nudie!) set at night, during the daytime. It required a bit of improvisation to get the light spread as we wanted it though. Although I fiddled with the exposure in post, I did the blue-tint by white-balancing with a piece of orange card.

13. hikeNM macrumors 6502a

Oh man. When I read the title I got a mental picture of a John Wayne film. They would always film during the day and filter it and make it look like the viewer was looking through sunglasses, but the scene was supposed to be at night. That was awesome!

14. skimaxpower Guest

You can also use props to increase the believability. A heavy coat and/or scarf can help to clue the viewer in to "nighttime."

15. Poeben macrumors 6502

Sounds like you could use something like this:

Attached Files:

16. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

thanks yall...yeah I tried the day for night thing and the reality is is if it's a really sunny day there's not too much that will make it look real unless you zoom in on only the face of the character

17. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

A great episode. :)