Any effect to get this look in FCE or FCP?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jayeskreezy, Nov 19, 2009.

1. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

I know this is relatively simple to achieve without an effect, but I was wondering if there was any effect available in FCE or FCP to achieve this effect?

If not, what's the fastest way to do it other than placing the two video clips on top of each other in layers and resizing each one to create that size?

Attached Files:

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

May we know why you wanna do this in any other way than the one that already exists?

Just curiosity and I like tickling cats.

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

There's not really any other way to do the effect. You have to have multiple layers of video and those layers of video have to be moved around by hand so they are properly framed up. You could save some time by using a third layer to create the horizontal black bar in the middle of the frame (as opposed to having to crop/aline each clip exactly the same) but it's a pretty basic effect that requires some pretty basic elbow grease. Copying and pasting attributes will also save you some time as well.

Not everything has an EZ button.

Lethal

4. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

Lol, you're right lethal. Thanks for the 3rd layer idea though. That should save significant time actually.

To spinnerlys:
    I actually prefer the vertical black bars for action shots. I've seen it done well before.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I understand that. If you'd have mentioned it I would have give you the same advice as Lethal about the third layer.
    But even without a third, black, layer it should work, as there is nothing there to show, and editing software displays that as black.

As long as it works.

6. eforegg macrumors newbie

If I need a third layer to tidy things up e.g. if there's a slight rotation on a clip and therefore the edges are not parallel to the other clip in the frame I use a slug because its available in FCP and crop left & right or top & bottom. Saves me having to set up a template in photoshop or the like.

Not sure if this is good practice or not but it's always stood me in good stead with no issue on output.