Any electronics/cellphone experts that can help me?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacBH928, Dec 23, 2013.

1. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

Hi there,

I have this old phone of mine: http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_t630-559.php

I thought it would be fun to use it again, so I bought a charger off ebay and when it got here I plugged it in but nothing happened. I tried cleaning the contact metals on the phone with alcohol and even tried to scrap it lightly with a thin piece of metal. Its no use, its like dead.

I am not sure if the problem is in the charger or the phone. I got this from a high-rating seller so I doubt he sold me a replica or malfunctioned charger. Could it be possibly the battery?

I got this phone in 2004 and stopped using it in 2007 . I have another phone that I got in 2007 and stopped using it in 2010, but it works like I got it on day one. Both are Sony Ericsson ...

2. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Do you access to a volt meter? If so is there any power reading on the charger terminals when it's plugged in. If not your charger is a dud. If yes then perhaps the battery has completely died? You might be able to get a replacement of eBay, but you could be throwing good money after bad.

3. Ccrew macrumors 68020

We're talking a 6+ YO battery that was probably never charged or maintained in any way in the interim. My $ is on the fact that that battery is just toast.

4. DaKKs macrumors 6502

Yeah, the battery i shot. I hade the same issue with a bucketload of other phones, including a T610. Its 99% the battery. If the charger is good, that is.

Internal components can degrade of course, but you really need to mistreat it for that to happen.

5. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacBH928

I asked this in other forums and I got the same advice, the battery is dead. I will search ebay, but I wonder who still manufacture batteries for such devices.

You make sense, but why does my 2007 K800 still works?

6. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Different battery, different age, different type. You should consider that one a gift even :) That said though, you're saying that this phone is potentially almost 10 years old. That's a long time in used battery life.

7. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Shouldn't it work without the battery if the charger is plugged in?

8. DaKKs macrumors 6502

No, there are only a handful of phones that can be powered off charger or usb. As far as i know, Ericssons, Sony or not, never had that capability.