Any Elgato guru's around?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by TraceyS/FL, Aug 2, 2008.

1. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I have an EyeTV 250+ (2008 version) running on my MBP. Works great - in the admin account. I never got help from them to get it working with sound in the other account i wanted it to. I had no choice - my summer programming (school for my kids) started, so I ran the admin account all summer.

We are going to be running 2 sat recievers this coming school year - so we bought a refurb mini to take over most of the job from the laptop. I need to order the 2nd 250 (it's an analog sat rcvr), so i was setting it up today with the one from the MBP.

WELLLL, i get no sound in ANY account. I"ve tried the tricks i found online - unplug power, unplug usb, reboot - nothing. Tried the 3 other USB ports - nothing.

I can unplug and do nothing - and plug it into teh MBP and get sound. I tried both sat rcvrs too.

I'm connected to it via RCA - i guess i could dream up a cable and try that (yuck! LOL!!).

I'm out of things to do, i have a post on the Elgato Forums, i've submitted the trouble ticket. I need it working by next Saturday at midnight. :(

Thanks for any tips/suggestions/__________.

Mini Specs:
    10.5.4 (updated today when it arrived)
    1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    1GB memory
    80GB hard drive

2. cpjakes macrumors 6502

I know you haven't mentioned the obvious, but is the EyeTV software muted or at low volume for some reason? Or how about the sound output from the Mini itself? Do other programs output sound?

Have you tried transferring another show from your MBP to the Mini and tried to play it back? Does that have sound? You can also access the MPG stream in the .eyetv package of a recorded show and play that back with VLC. It's another thing to try to see if the sound is making it to the recording but not out of EyeTV...

I've never used it with multiple users, so I can't verify if sound works or not. I have a Hybrid running on a 1.66 Core Duo mini and haven't had any problems.

There is a very recent update to EyeTV 3 (3.03), maybe that addresses your issue?

I'll keep thinking, keep posting - especially if you have find a solution!

cpjakes

3. TraceyS/FL thread starter macrumors 68040

Solved it last night.

But yup, sound was working - and sound came from the prior recordings. That was the first thing i checked.

Apparently there is a "bug" in the set-up. Because i'm just using a sat input via composite cables, i didn't set up any guides or tuners. I don't need them - it's all a/v input.

Well, when i reached the point in the set up that has you plug in the 250, i did and a picture appeared. But no sound.

Same on the other account too.

I had checked the preferences till i was blue in the face and found nothing, so i started cruising the menus. THere under the controls is the input choices. Oh, that shouldn't be tuner - it should be composite - changed it and BAM, sound! (classical music has never sounded so good!).

I went over to the "recording" account i set up, and changed it there - sound!

When i switch back to tuner - the picture is snowy & garbled, like what i would EXPECT to see with the wrong input.

I had almost set up a timed recording just to see what happened - in that i would have seen my input would have been wrong. I'm guessing that would have fixed it.

So, i'm a happy camper this morning - but perplexed as to why it was even working in the first place, hence the calling it a "bug". I'm guessing they scan all the ports when you hook it up and if they get a signal they stop?

Most people probably aren't running like me, i just find it easier to not have all the channels in there (i have access to a custom XML guide, but really don't want to mess with changing the channels thru the computer. The receiver has timers and can do it - and i'd probably set them there too just to make sure my 4yo helper didn't move the UIRT you know? Anyway, since most people aren't running this way - it's probably not a big issue.

Me and my Homesat setup are alone in the world :D

Thanks for throwing ideas out - it always helps to have another brain. I had my mom sit thru it yesterday and she probably will never buy a 250+ now, i can see her sticking with her Sony! LOL!!!

4. cpjakes macrumors 6502

Glad you got it working. I think I didn't understand that while you were getting picture, it wasn't the right picture.

Here's a question - can the "recording" account record when you're not directly logged into it or if you're using Fast User Switching? I don't think I'd ever use it that way, I've just been curious...

cpjakes

5. TraceyS/FL thread starter macrumors 68040

I was getting picture - just no sound. I shouldn't have been getting picture though - just snow. Hence, it's a bug in the set up i think.

And yup, it will work with fast user switching. I ran it all summer that way! I only had one computer and recorded close to 30 hours a week of programming. I'll be running most of the recording on the new mini, allowing me to edit and work more on my laptop. I didn't dare try to use Aperture while i was recording you know?

Now i wish i could print my schedule details in EyeTV3. Would make this schedule checking i'm doing (58 classes - some repeat weekly, some repeat week days.....).