Any engineers using a MB?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mxelre, Aug 6, 2008.

1. mxelre macrumors member

mxelre

Starting Uni early september and I need a new computer (3 yrs old windows tower has given up:mad:). I always thought I'd have to go for the MBP because I thought I would need the power and the dedicated graphics. Im majoring mech. eng. and I've heard we are gonna use CAD programs such as solidworks and other stuff like that quite extensively. With the revision coming soon I dont feel like buying a 2K$ MBP and see an upgrade not even a month later. I'd rather buy a 1K$ laptop and keep some money for a powerful desktop tower(maybe a iMac who knows:cool:) + I already have a beautiful 20" samsung monitor. If any of you have gone through this kind of study using a macbook or have heard about something closely related to this any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Max

2. war eagle macrumors 6502a

Software engineering major here. I have a MacBook and i'm fine. MacBook Pro i'd say is more towards the graphic designers and the such.

Boot Camping windows will almost be a necessity though unless you have access to a computers at your school. While the Mac can handle most of the program I use, they just arent made for OS X.

Hope that helps,
    sideline

3. galactic732 macrumors member

i am a senior in mechanical and nuclear engineering.

i have never needed a personal laptop that is anything more than a macbook.

the most youre going to need probably is excel. when i need autocad or solidworks i go to a lab. i'm actually more productive there anyways b/c i get away from the distractions/my roommates.

i have the midrange macbook and am completely fine.

also, dont get two computers if youre living in a dorm. that would take up wayyy to much space

4. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

I'm not an engineer, but my brother is.

He has a MacBook, and has never needed anything else. As previous posts say, most schools offer labs and such, and if all else fails, you can always Boot Camp it.

5. patcase86 macrumors newbie

I'm a senior mech. engineer at Oregon State. I had a BlackBook that I used all the time until it got stolen. It ran Solidworks just fine, and I was running VMWare Fusion! I was also running MatLab with X11 - worked great as well. For group projects, I went on campus and used the lab computers but the MacBook was great for everything else.

Side note - I'll be replacing my MacBook with a new one once they get the rumored aluminum shell :D

6. mxelre thread starter macrumors member

mxelre

Thank you very much to all! I'm very happy to hear that solidworks and MatLab work seamlessly on the blackbook/macbook, actually that's pretty much all I need with word and excel and maybe powerpoint or keynote for presentations or what not. I'll buy it in 2 weeks and I'll post some pictures for you guys. I can get a pretty good deal on a blackbook so I'll go for that one since I prefer that color. Patcase were you insured for that stolen laptop??? That really sux!

7. patcase86 macrumors newbie

Yep, I am insured but with a $1000 deductable and a wierd depriciation thing. Needless to say, I got about $300 from them for my laptop, and I'll get another $300 once I replace it within 6 months. The six months will be up Sept 20th, so I hope they get the new MacBook out soon!

8. sabregreen macrumors member

I am a computer/electrical engineer at U of M and I have had a 12" PowerBook and 2 white MacBooks. I use Matlab, mathematica, PSPICE software for circuits, Visual Studio, Xcode and codewarrior. The only programs that can't run on Mac OS X are PSPICE, Visual Studio, and codewarrior. These work perfectly fine in parallels/fusion and bootcamp. I have used all three and work just fine and fast.