Any Epub book reader for mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mwxiao, Aug 14, 2011.

1. mwxiao macrumors regular

I have a library of epub books on my MBA but I can't find a good ebook reader...

Options:
    1. Amazon Kindle for mac: best UI. But I have to convert all books to mobi.
    2. Stanza/Tofu: read epub files. But slow and ugly UI.
    3. Adobe Digital Edition: requires Adobe Flash, which i don't have on my MBA and I don't intend to install.
    4. LovinglyReader: from screen shots, it seems like a good reader. But it requires Adobe AIR. Is AIR as evil as Flash that reduces battery life?
    5. Sony Reader's Library: really slow. Can't even zoom.

I think I am really picky. If I can't a good one, I think I'll just go with Kindle...

Anyone with good suggestions?

2. jsolares macrumors 6502a

Maybe take a look at calibre, have read good things about it.

3. coops macrumors regular

Definitely try Calibre - it's free, organises your library, and can convert your epubs if neeeded... (or any other format), has built-in epub reader.

4. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

Good call. I downloaded it and checked it out. Much better than Adobes Digital Editions piece of junk.

5. JusChexin macrumors member

Thank you SO much for the suggestion of the Nook for Mac App! I haven't tried the Kindle for Mac App yet, but the Nook for Mac App is really great -- I'm LOVING that you can use it in "Full Screen Mode" in OS X 10.7 Lion, and that it makes use of finger swipes to either three-finger swipe to other open full screen app's or the desktop or two-finger swipes to change pages. Awesome!! :D