Any estimates on how much it would cost to fix dents?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Suno, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Suno macrumors 6502

Suno

It's right where the adapter port is. The screen and lid is unaffected. It's a slight, minor dent, almost like a small ripple. The damage is only cosmetic, the laptop itself functions just fine. I know it probably costs more to fix than it's worth, but part of what makes the Macbook a Mac is the aesthetic beauty of the machine and having a dent on it just makes it unappealing (if you want to argue against that, feel free but please at least answer the question).

If it helps at all, my laptop is still under the default Apple warranty/protection/care plan, although I know they won't cover it.

2. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Well, as an example, the bottom plate on my MBPR costs $110 or so to replace. Mine came with a dent and the Apple Store replaced it free of charge but the receipt had the cost they covered on it.

I believe you'll need an entire new unibody shell which would be considerably more I assume.

3. Suno thread starter macrumors 6502

Suno

Okay, so I guess the cost is anywhere up to $200? Do the people at the Genius Bar fix it on the spot? Or do I have to leave my Macbook with them and do they ship it off somewhere? This is my first time ever with a Mac so I'm unfamiliar with how the process works.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

If its around a port that's the top body which is bloody expensice

5. pat park macrumors 6502a

No, just the bottom plate is $100+. From what you described, it seems the entire shell needs to be replaced. You're looking at a lot more money. They would not do that kind of repair on the spot.

You're potentially looking at hundreds of dollars and significant time to repair (several days to weeks). If its minor and still works, you're probably better off leaving it alone. Any pics you can post?

6. Suno thread starter macrumors 6502

Suno

Thanks for the replies. Just got back from an authorized repair shop. They said I had to replace the entire top side of the MBP, which, with labor cost included, costs $360. Just in case any one else might wonder and come across this post. I have the 15 inch cMBP but I'm sure the retina isn't much different.

7. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Oh, you can guarantee the Retina is more since just about everything is glued in.

8. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Cover, they just unscrew and give u a new one, I seriously doubt they send it out to a metal guy and have him pound it back.

Case, ouch. Basically they have to disassemble the whole shebang. Lots of labor.

Curious, what would be your tip-away cost, $300, $500?