Any evidence that Final Cut Studio 3 actually exists?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by BigSky20, Jun 13, 2009.

1. BigSky20 macrumors regular

I have been wanting to upgrade from FCE for about 6 months now. I cannot justify paying full price for FCS2 when it is over 2 years old and FCS3 is coming out "soon".

I first read that FCS3 was suppose to be released at NAB, then at WWDC. In fact, some people said there was a 100% chance it would be released at WWDC (although this seems to not be the right conference for a proapp release).

My question is does anyone have any evidence that FCS3 actually exists? Are there any beta versions floating around?

I am tempted to buy CS4 production premium pro, but I really like the color and motion apps that FCS offers.

2. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

So, the only thing wrong with FCS2 is that it is two years old? True, FCS3 will have new features... Maybe you should think about the cost of getting FCS2 now and buying the FCS3 upgrade later; overall, more expensive, but you get the benefit of getting familiar and working with the program now, not later. Odds are with how Apple is playing its cards, your hardware may not be compliant with the new hardware acceleration.

3. giffut macrumors 6502

FInal Cut 2 ...

... is not well suited for multicore environments (render times) and it has a 3GB memory limit (32Bit, which means around 1.2GB RAM for final cut, roughly 2GB for the user at the maxmimum). I think OpenCL and GrandCentral are the hints, that first of all Pro Apps will dig deeply into those technologies. And from all the Pro Apps, Final Cut and Logic are more than ripe for their next generation. They will appear together with or close to OSX 10.6.

4. BigSky20 thread starter macrumors regular

I did not realize this limitation. I have a octo 2.8 mac pro with 10 gb ram. If I bought FCS2 now, the software will only use 3 of the 10 gb of RAM?

5. lighthouse_man macrumors 6502a

Someone saw it walking on Figueroa street, close to Sunset Blvd, earlier yesterday. I can't provide any links to online articles, but a friend of mine confirms the news.

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

FCP has a RAM limit but the remaining RAM can still be used by other programs.

Lethal

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Might be one of the apps that requires Snow Leopard to be released, so likely 2-3 months after that, then we might start hearing stuff.

8. BigSky20 thread starter macrumors regular

I thought I saw something strange on Figueroa yesterday!

I do not want to wait any longer. I am going with FCS2 today. My only fear is the rumors out there of no upgrade option to FCS3 because of a potential re-write.

I guess I will have to take the usual Apple gamble. Thanks for the replies!

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

That's the stupidest rumor about FCS3 that I've heard yet. Speculation that Apple is not going to offer and upgrade price is ridiculous.

Lethal

10. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I remember reading an article on AppleInsider that said people were testing the beta of FCS3 with Snow Leopard betas.

So it does exist. As mentioned though, I'm sure it will be released after Snow Leopard and it will have features that take advantage of Snow Leopard's new technologies.

11. bartzilla macrumors 6502a

I think even by Mac rumour standards, that particular rumour came out of someone's ass.

If FCS2 solves your problems today then going with it today is always the right choice imo.

12. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

"My daddy didn't lie. My father saw the Snow Leopard betas, my father saw FCS3."

- Julie Shuster*​

*Any resemblance to any historical personage is purely accidental.

13. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP