Any Excel 2011 experts?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sloan1919, Feb 1, 2012.

1. sloan1919 macrumors newbie

Just bought my first mac and I'm having some problems getting used to excel 2011. I'm an MBA student and for the most part I live inside of Excel but I'm not understanding some of the basic operations in the mac version. My most immediate issue:
    On the mac version of excel when I type =su in a cell I get a drop down with the list of possible functions just like on the PC, but when I'm nested in a formula for example I've typed "=sumproduct(su" I don't get the dropdown again like I would with the PC. I have to literally finished typing the whole function before I see the param help box. Am I doing something wrong there?

Also can you tab functions inline? What I mean is on the PC version if I type "=sump" I can just hit tab and automatically it pops up =sumproduct() and places the cursor inbetween the (). On my mac I have to press the down arrow and select sumproduct even if its the only one of the list. Can I fix this?

Thanks to all.

2. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

If Microsoft can't, I doubt you can. Ok, that's a dig at MS; I don't know the answers to your questions, wish I did because they are good ones.

3. rcepek macrumors newbie

Possible Answer?

Not sure about answer to your first question, but for your second question try hitting enter instead of tab and I think that will give you what you are looking for.

4. sloan1919 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks,

The return/enter key doesn't complete the function, instead it leaves what I have and drops me to the cell directly below. So if I type =sumRETURN the cell's content is =sum not the expected value of =sum() with the cursor in-between the ().

Sloan

5. rocket9005 macrumors newbie

Om Mac keyboards "enter" on the number pad (if you have one), and "return" by the space bar are different, and behave differently. Try each one to see if one gives you the result you want.

6. sloan1919 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again, I didn't mention it but its a macbook air and the return and enter buttons are the same button.

7. Hawkeye16 macrumors regular

I have noticed this too with no way around it yet. For the autocomplete you can hit the down arrow then tab and it does the () for you with cursor in between. One more keystroke but hopefully helpful.