Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
I realize this is a Mac site and I'm typing this on my iPad. :)

But we are looking for a lower cost tablet for my father. He doesn't have a lot of tablet experience and probably wouldn't do anything too demanding. I'm skeptical of all the android devices out there. He has a kruz tablet and it is horrible. The reviews of the fire seem to be decent for a $200 machine.

He's not a gamer, so I doubt he would do any demanding gaming. He enjoys YouTube and will probably use email and some basic apps as well as book reading.

Is the scroll lag a big deal? Looking for some quick comments on the kindle fire. Thanks.

I see QVC has the supernova tablet for $179 today as well. But like I said I'm skeptical.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Also check out the nook tablet. It's somewhat more expensive but most reviews I have seen like it better then the Fire.

It may not be a surprise if it's for Christmas but I would let him try it out before getting it. The 7" screen size is nice for most people but many people need a 10" screen size (I know my father couldn't use the smaller screen :D ).

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
Thanks. We tried it at best buy today. I was impressed with it for $200. It seems to be a decent deal for the price.

Abby21

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2011
Well, for the $200, can read book, watch movies, surfing the Web, and easy to hold in one hand, it's really small enough to fit anywhere.

Think from your fathers's need
He enjoys YouTube and will probably use email and some basic apps as well as book reading.
it's totally OK. :)
So you could turn and go for it.

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
Bought one to supplement my iPad use. So far I totally love it. Smaller screen is much more portable and it is easy to use. It isn't as refined as the iPad and it has its quirks (no volume control buttons, power button on the bottom, no home button), but for 300 less than an iPad it is worth it.

However if it is going to be used as a second computer with a lot of use, I would consider the iPad for how well it runs, the wealth of apps and the screen size.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Also check out the nook tablet. It's somewhat more expensive but most reviews I have seen like it better then the Fire.
On paper, the nook tablet is a better tablet, slightly better specs and display. The design I think is less generic. I think content is where the nook fails against the Kindle fire. Amazon has done a great job lining up all sorts of content ready to be used.

I'd go with the nook personally only because I read that its easier to root and possibly load a customized rom which is what I'd want to do :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.