Any Experience or Feedback on Safemonk + Dropbox?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by simonsi, Oct 14, 2014.

1. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Seems easy to setup and get working, any down-the-line issues or comments on its usage??

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I never heard of it until I just saw your post here.

It looks intriguing. Are you using it?

3. Supertaff macrumors member

I used to use BoxCyptor to do Dropbox encryption, i always was a pain to install, but worked well.

Not sure if this applies to Safemonk, but be aware of any app that requests your dropbox username/password combo to carry out any activities. One of the big hacks recently has been via small apps/websites that use your details to log in and carry out activities on other sites as they don't always have the same level of security and updates of their software and servers as the big companies do. This was how the Snapchat hack happened.

Taff

4. simonsi thread starter macrumors 601

simonsi

Enough to see what and how it works in practice at the moment.

5. simonsi thread starter macrumors 601

simonsi

I saw that, although with Snapchat they were unauthorized apps which were presumably faking themselves as the genuine when talking to the server (otherwise Snapchat could have simply ignored them). Snapchat had them removed from the App store when they became aware.

Safemonk also ships via the App store and has well-publicised reviews etc connecting them to Dropbox so I would hope this doesn't apply. (inc they use the Dropbox logo on their website).