Any experience with Apple Leather case w/out screen protector?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by dmaxdmax, Sep 20, 2014.

1. dmaxdmax macrumors 6502a

dmaxdmax

I'm tempted to go this route for my 6 but am afraid the lip won't offer enough protection.

Interested in a year of use, not 36 hours.:cool:

2. saltd macrumors 6502a

saltd

They aren't really very good for protecting the screen. They are more geared towards slimness and looks. If you are wanting real screen protection, you'll want an Otterbox or something. I had one on my 5s. The lip was small and my screen was scratched up a little

3. dmaxdmax thread starter macrumors 6502a

dmaxdmax

I have an otterbox on my 5s but am looking for a sleeker solution. I'd get a glass protector except for all the reports of a bad fit.

4. ssls6 macrumors 6502a

ssls6

I've run a 5s that way for a year. One drop when my dog knocked the phone from my hand and my phone survived without blemish. That doesn't mean another drop wouldn't have broken it...that's the thing with drops, there is a bit of a "luck" factor.

5. dmaxdmax thread starter macrumors 6502a

dmaxdmax

I'm not concerned with drops as much as scratches.

6. CruiseToGo macrumors member

I had the apple leather case on my 5s for the past year and just got one with my 6 plus. The case has a raised lip just slightly higher than the screen. I never used a screen protector with my phone and had drops several times with no damage or scratches.

On another note, the leather case doesn't add much bulk to the 6 plus, which is nice, because even though it's thin, the 6 plus iphone is a beast!

7. saltd macrumors 6502a

saltd

By Otterbox, I assume you mean the Defender. They make some lighter cases too. I've never liked screen films or screen protectors, so I don't know about that.

8. polbit macrumors 6502

polbit

Haven't had a screen protector on a phone for the past 10 years or so, and have never had a scratched screen. I used to keep my phones in a slip-on type cases, but since iPhone 4 I just used a back protector like the leather case. I always carry them in my front pants pocket, but make sure that's the only thing that goes there. I know it's possible to scratch a GG screen, but it must be really, really hard.

The leather case is really great as it is super light, and raises the front just enough so screen doesn't touch the surface you lay it on.

9. dmaxdmax thread starter macrumors 6502a

dmaxdmax

I had the commuter and even that was too much for me.

10. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Leather case is very nice and allows the phone to lie flat with the slight camera ring. It will pick up minor scratches, like a leather belt, but it fits perfectly and feels and smells great!!

11. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I wish the leather case was just a little bit grippier, it still feels slightly slippery to me, but other than that it's about the perfect case for the Plus, IMO. Looks sharp, nice feel, good protection as far as turing it on a table goes, and makes the phone much easier to handle, seriously a huge difference.

And I'm someone who doesn't like cases, but on the Plus, it's a big advantage, almost required I'd say. You could theoretically still scratch or shatter the screen, but the case gives you so much more control holding it that it makes it less likely you'll drop it.

12. 6mildollarman macrumors newbie

I like the look and feel (and smell) of the leather case, but I do need a grippier case for the 6 plus. That's why I went with the silicone version. It has the same profile as the leather case but is slightly tacky. It feels great for 1-handed operation. The only problem I have with it is that it's a lint magnet when brand new. Putting your phone in your pocket = lint city. However, wiping it down with pledge for electronics solved the problem.

13. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

For the first time ever I will be using only a case (yes the Apple leather case, it's the best case I've ever owned). I will not be using a screen protector as I will only use tempered glass now and they obviously won't ever cover the whole screen.. No thanks.

Instead I am just using this:
    https://www.sfbags.com/collections/iphone-cases/products/iphone-case-suede-jacket

It has a size for iPhone 6+ with a case on, so when I keep my phone in my pocket I will have it in the sleeve. I've bought these sleeves for a few other devices and they're great because they also are awesome for cleaning the screen really quick.

14. FieldingMellish Suspended

I liked the suede jacket for my iPhone 4 back in the day.

15. viewfly, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015

viewfly macrumors 65816

viewfly

I have used the Apple case, or cases like it (with raised lip) for 4 years without any scratches on the glass- no screen protector.

A) The raised lip protects the screen for lay on the table - if the table roughness is less than the dimension of the raised lip.
    1. if the table is not less...then the plastic screen protector could scratch...or your glass screen protector too. The latter being expensive to replace. It depends on the table material hardness.

B) If you drop your phone face down onto the ground, the same rule applies, with one difference- if a rock or gravel is smaller than the surface area of the raised lip, the screen will stand a good probablity of cracking...with or without a screen protector. i.e. drop it on a sharp 1 inch stone, and no raised lip or screen protector is going to prevent a sharp pointed break, glass or plastic.

So with that thought, for a guy, carrying his phone in a loose front pocket, with nothing else there, is pretty much protected via the pocket material itself. Just keep your pocket clean of sand and dirt, without going OCD.

For a ladies, carrying a phone in a purse with loose stuff, or one that uses diamond ear rings, well a protector would be a wise move. But diamond will scratch anything including your expensive glass protector. Otherwise have a dedicated pocket in that purse. and it is similar to a guys pocket.

So I feel that screen protectors are unnecessary and by using them you remove all the advance tech in the Apple screen, AND add another light reflective interface that decreases screen contrast a little bit.

Having said that...tight back pocket skinny jeans...one never knows how clean they are, so slipping a phone into a pocket that could have dirt or sand somewhere, will scratch your screen and protector...being that sand is just ground quartz or glass like, and the same hardness as the screen, and that will cause hairline scratches in the glass or the oleophobic coating.

It is important to remember it is both sand, dirt or whatever AND how hard or how much pressure is applied before something scratches. One can use sandpaper on a piece of wood for minutes, but if you apply no pressure while sanding it is not going to scratch much. Which is why skinny jeans can be worse that loose pockets.

Loose fitting pockets are the best. Okay, I stand off of my soapbox

16. MUWarrior10 macrumors member

I have the Apple leather case on my iPhone 6. I think it does a pretty good job protecting the my phone. I have dropped it a couple of times, and there was no damage to my phone, but the case did get scratched.

On another note, my friend had an apple leather case on her 6 with a screen protector. Long story, but it ended up getting run over by a truck. There was absolutely no damage to her phone. Obviously the screen protector needed to be replaced, but still I could not believe her phone was completely undamaged.

17. FieldingMellish Suspended

I cover the screen for general peace of mind. At some point I cease idolizing the phone and concentrate on business at hand. Stuff happens. Even something benign, such as the screen contacting my coat button, was not a cause to go running toward a light source and giving the screen a thorough examination.