Any experience with Dual XGPS300?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Mugwumper, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Mugwumper macrumors regular

From what I can tell, this product (GPS receiver and cradle for iPod Touch)
    is available outside the US now, and due to be released "soon" in the US.

Does anybody have any experience with it yet?

Or any bits of data or info to compare it to Navigon, TomTom, etc.?

Thanks . . .

2. anthny680 macrumors member

I'm also interested in hearing any impressions. I like the fact that it's been designed more as a case that case be carried around, vs. a car kit type solution. But it also comes with a car kit.

One of my questions is whether it'll work with Google Maps?

3. LincolnsiPod macrumors 6502

So far they missed their release date for the end of November. Almost a week into December and not a word about the status of this product. Starting to look more and more like vaporware to me. :mad:

4. Mugwumper thread starter macrumors regular

Hmmmm . . . :^(

I sure hope not . . . I keep looking in Amazon, since supposedly that's
    how we'll be able to buy it initially.

I also can't find the Tom Tom Car Kit. So now I've got this nice new 64GB
    Touch, and nothing to put on it . . . ;^) Just kidding - 50GB of music, photos,
    podcasts, and audiobooks, plus iCal and AddressBook info, and now a few
    apps. I may have to take off stuff to fit a GPS app . . .

So what are our options?

5. peteo macrumors regular

The problem with the Tom Tom one is you can not use it with out it being plugged into the car charger. its has no battery and will not work with out power. I think the Magellan's GPS Car kit will be similar
    So if you want to go geocaching or hiking (the geocaching iphone app ROCKS) Dual is the only option right now. still no word on when it will be released.

I doubt its vaporware. They have a website for it. Dual makes car radios and incar gps systems. They have 2 Car radios with a Ipod touch doc's that will also give it GPS capabilities.

http://gpscradle.dualav.com/

PDF of the product http://gpscradle.dualav.com/pdfs/XGPS300_Fact Sheet.pdf

6. Mugwumper thread starter macrumors regular

"Soon" . . . ;^)

I sent an e-mail to one of the names listed on their site, and got a nice
    response today. Basically, sorry it didn't come out as planned in November,
    but should be out before the end of December.

Stay tuned for further developments . . . ;^)

7. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Looks pretty cool. Wonder how you charge it though. I have a nice large external battery (IMP500), and I would like to be able to charge both the GPS and the iPod with it.

8. LincolnsiPod macrumors 6502

I hope so, it's all I want for Christmas. :D I'm actually planning a trip then, and I'm hoping it will finally be released in time for me to try it out with Navigon.

9. previsa macrumors newbie

Cool design but image looks very flat form the render would look cool if the mountains in the background where blurred and at a darker tone

10. Nexvick macrumors newbie

3 weeks past due

WTF. Nearly 3 weeks from expected launch and not a word from Dual. Apparently they are tired of explaining themselves, because they wouldn't respond to an email I sent. Their website has gone from saying "[available in] late November" to "very soon". Not soon enough. TomTom and others are dropping their prices and are starting to look like better (or at least available) options. So much for having things ready by Christmas. Thanks Dual.

11. Mugwumper thread starter macrumors regular

Nope, end of the year . . .

See my post above - not ready until the end of the year. I hope . . .

12. lemonademaker macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

In a Van Down By The River! Metro Detroit!
    bumping the thread to see if anyone has heard anything else about release date.....

13. Mugwumper thread starter macrumors regular

Nada . . . :^(

Just went on their site - nothing has changed.

I had signed up for notification when it was released, but haven't seen
    anything yet . . .

Boo-hoo . . . :^(

14. LincolnsiPod macrumors 6502

Where the crap is this thing? Stupid Dual. Their products don't actually have the best reputation and I'm starting to wonder if they jumped the gun on this and found some kind of defect in the GPS cradle that precluded them from being able to release it.

15. ronster22 macrumors member

I really wanted GPS to be added to the 3rd gen iPod Touch...hopefully this comes out sometime...

I want to use it as a golf rangefinder...

16. bonehead1491 macrumors newbie

Supposedly Feb 1st

Emailed dual to find out what the delay was, response was as follows:

Sorry for the slow response – I’ve been out of the country over the holidays.

The GPS Cradle will be available February 1st. The delay has been due to the approval process – this took far longer than we had anticipated. However, that is complete and the product is moving through the supply chain now.

Hope this helps!

17. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

I'll probably cost $200 or something, so who cares anyway I guess. :(

18. ronster22 macrumors member

Ya the rumored list price is supposed to be ~$180...yeesh.

$299 (32GB) + $180 = $479...ouch.

Better still, a gps that's more than half the price of a iPod Touch 3G. If it was around a hundred, maybe.

19. Nexvick macrumors newbie

Date changed once again!

I, too, have emailed Dual. First, they said look for it to be available by mid January. Then it was the 1st of February. Now they're saying the end of February. I hope the most recent update is the last. Still, the XGPS300 appears to be better than the TomTom or Magellan solutions since it's a portable system. I just wish it would get here already. I've already downloaded the NavAtlas app. That was a headache. I have an 8 GB itouch, and apparently you have to have 5-6 GB available in order to download the app (odd since the description says it's a 2 GB app). The actual file size of the app appears to be about 3 GB. Had to uncheck everything, download the app, and then recheck a few things that I wanted back on the itouch. A tedious process for an app when you can't even preview the interface prior to purchasing the hardware. I think I'll wait for reviews before I actually buy the device. Who knows? it could be a flop. Let's hope not.

20. EXEC1337 macrumors newbie

often emailed with Dual Electronics

want to share some informations about the xgps300
    i hope its ok to quote one-on-one dual electronics

december

january

answer of the question "is the 1st Februar still the releasedate of the XGPS300?"
    PS: newest information about the releasedate:
    click

PPS: The website was even down for few minutes and got now some little updates

best regards, pascal

EDIT

reading the "new" FAQ (see last PPS) turned out that maybe the cradle will not available at amazon.com

previously they said it will be available at amazon.com

21. rconnor macrumors newbie

Last day in February...

Well today is the 28th and still no word on the availability of the Dual XGPS300:mad:

22. LincolnsiPod macrumors 6502

You noticed that huh? :D

3 and a half months and still waiting. How long before I finally get a chance to use Navigon on my iPod? How long Dual? HOW LOOOOOONG!?!??!?!111*dies*

23. rconnor macrumors newbie

Giving up on Dual...

I'm giving up on Dual coming out with their unit. I've contacted them a few times with no response. I just can't trust a company that doesn't reply to their potential customers, nor do I trust a company that gives false hope in a product.

I'm going to buy the TomTom car kit for the iPod Touch and use it with the Navigon app. It may not be what Dual is offering, but at least I won't have to wait another 3 months or more for it.

24. LincolnsiPod macrumors 6502

The problem is them being the only company offering a solution of this type for the iPod (unless you count the module that requires a jailbroken iPod and some technical savvy). If other companies would get into this market as well I'm sure it would have lit a fire under Dual's butt balls. Ah well.

25. DualElectronics macrumors newbie

update on the XGPS300

My name is Greg, and I work for Dual. Someone just pointed out this thread to me (thanks Ray!), so I thought I would volunteer to answer questions.

MacRumors forum rules require commercial promotion (which I guess this could be considered) be restricted to the App Store forum, so I've started a thread over there to respond to any questions.

Thanks,
    Greg