Any experienced eBay buyers?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by markthrash, Jul 10, 2011.

1. markthrash macrumors 6502

markthrash

Been so excited for my first MacBook for a long time now and I've gotten around to saving $1,340 at the moment. Now, I'm shooting for the Pro model with a 15" screen. I was curious to hear of anyone's experiences or input on buying a MacBook off of eBay?? I mean, if I can find something hundreds of dollars cheaper on eBay, I'm all for giving it a shot, but I do have the fear of being ripped off by some sort.

Link to some I'm considering.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/New-unopened-Ea...ple_Laptops&hash=item415b6ff087#ht_500wt_1156

http://cgi.ebay.com/15-4-Early-2011...le_Laptops&hash=item45fbaf99eb#ht_2367wt_1139

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-Macbook-P...84634565?pt=Apple_Laptops&hash=item43a831a4c5

Just sucks that there's absolutely no feedback on that first one that claims to be unopened and unused.

So to put it quite shortly, I'd be interested to hear some opinions on two questions.

-Would you take the chance?
    -Which 1 of the 3 should I be seriously considering based off of your first impressions of the description?

2. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

I'd be surprised if they don't wind up going for nearly what you can get one new. Macs tends to go for ridiculous prices on eBay.

Look around and see what price Apple sells refurbs. Checkout Cowboom.com (Best Buy's outlet) and see what used MBP sell for - that gives you an idea of what is a good deal. Also check what places like best Buy, Mac Medic, etc pay for used equipment. - if the seller is selling for significantly less than that I'd wonder why they don't just take the trouble free cash.

That said, I'd go with sellers with larger amounts of feedback - and look for at least 98% positive.

The main thing, no matter who you buy from, is to follow eBay's and PayPal's buyer protection rules to the letter. No matter what the seller says, do not deviate from them as that will eliminate your protections. The seller may have a perfectly legitimate reason for needing to do so, but it's not worth the risk to you. They may tell you you are still protected but eBay doesn't care what they say. If you have any doubts - contact eBay - who will most likely tell you not to do it and recommend you cancel the transaction.

In addition, pay with a credit card through PayPal - that gives you extra protection because you can always do a chargeback as well.

If you buy one, be sure to save any shipping materials in case there is a damage claim and double check to be sure you got what was described.

I've but a number of items off of eBay with no problems whatsoever - an in each case the seller and I followed eBays rules to the letter with no problems. Good sellers want to follow the rules to protect themselves as well - they have problems with buyers trying to scam them as well.

Finally - follow eBay's rules to the letter no matter what the seller says or what sort of sad story they give you.

3. Philflow macrumors 65816

Buying from sellers with little feedback: bad idea.
    Buying from sellers with no feedback: even worse idea.

PS. Posting links to ebay ads your considering on forums like this can often increase the price.

4. Gabik123 macrumors newbie

Honestly, try and use craigslist to buy a computer, you have more negotiating power, and the ability to see and test the computer before handing over the cash. I've always sold used computers on there and bought some too with never a problem outside of flaky people

5. jdaniel macrumors 65816

6. Kyllle macrumors 6502

the three you posted will all go for way over your budget, considering the first two you picked retail for well over $2000.

For $1340, assuming you want a decent machine that is in good cosmetic condition, I would look at 2010 baseline models. Macs keep their value very well, so you aren't going to save a whole lot on this year's mbp.

Like others have said, try Apple's refurb store, but I think you'll find that for your price range, the 15" will still be too expensive, especially once you consider $100-200 of sales tax.

7. markthrash thread starter macrumors 6502

markthrash

Ohhh, no, don't think I'm on a tight budget. I don't expect to find a new 2011 MacBook Pro for exactly $1300. That's just what I have saved up for now. I can definitely wait on a couple of more paychecks; it's just kinda tempting for me to see offers on eBay that are hundreds of dollars cheaper. I was just curious to people's input on these three items and if anyone's bought one off of eBay.

8. theturtle macrumors 6502a

+1

ebay ads usually have a tendency to jump ALOT during the last few minutes. damn snipers.

9. lindstedt56 macrumors regular

The guy above laid it out pretty well for ebay. Making sure you are covered by ebay buyers protection is the biggest thing.

Items on ebay useually get sniped in the last couple minutes so if you want something you have to watch the auction frequently. Also, dont buy from low feedback sellers or new sellers.

10. matt94gt macrumors member

Id never buy from a user who does not have at least 20 feedback and is a member for over a year. Been ripped a few times, even paypal cant protect you.

11. lindstedt56 macrumors regular

Yeah the guy above is right. Some sellers can send you a broken laptop ask you to ship it back and then tell paypal that the buyer switched out a working laptop with a broken laptop and the buyer is out the money.

If you buy from someone who has good feedback the chances of something like this happen goes down greatly.

12. ABadSanta macrumors regular

Mac's in general have very, very good resale value. It's definitely a seller's market when it comes to macs on eBay.

You'll find that a used 2011 MBP on eBay will approach the price of a new one, so honestly I suggest you should save up until you have the money to buy a new one, or perhaps an Apple refurb?

13. markthrash thread starter macrumors 6502

markthrash

I just checked out the refurb site. Sorry to sound so n00bish, but are these refurbs priced down simply due to the fact that other hands came in to contact with that laptop for a short period of time? I might consider that option, the prices aren't bad at all. I'm just such a Negative Ned and think of the worst possible case scenario for myself in that situation as the recipient. lol

14. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

That is pretty much it worse case as you as you want to look at is you get refurbished machine with exactly the same warranty as a new one while saving money, if anything goes wrong you can get it serviced just like it was a new Mac for the same period of time as new one and it is eligible for Apple Care as well if you want to purchase that.