Any experiences with ssd/hd upgrades to the pbook g4 12"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by applesupergeek, Feb 21, 2010.

1. applesupergeek macrumors 6502a

I don't want to part with my 12" for an air yet, so I am thinking of a 320gb wd ide hd. It's 5400 rpm, as I haven't seen anything with some decent capacity at 7200 rpm.

But I am eyeing the runcore ide (pata) ssd too. I am a bit worried though that the difference between the wd hd and the ssd will be marginal due to the pata interface.

Any experiences guys?:apple:

2. DarthSnuggles macrumors member

DarthSnuggles

I don't know anything *specifically* about that SSD, but what I can say is that throughput speed is only part of the equation. SSDs have very low seek times compared to hard drives, so a lot of things will just appear snappier. Seek times come into play anytime you have things looking for stuff on different parts of the disk.

3. Quicksilver867 macrumors regular

I'm not certain what type of bottlenecking an SSD would run into while trying to cram all kinds of data over an IDE connection versus an SATA one. I'll get back to you...give me a minute

EDIT: "The next step in IDE vs SATA is to work out the data transfer speeds. IDE (PATA) transfers data from the speeds of 5MB/sec up to 133MB/Sec (ATA100/133). SATA however data transfer speeds range from 150MB/sec to SATA II which doubles it to 300MB/sec."