Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
I just bought a Seagate 2TB SSHD, which from my reading basically seems like a poor man's version of the Fusion Drive. I have been running up on my 500GB capacity and would love some better performance, and my dad just wanted better performance. So we both got one and I finished installing his a few hours ago and left with Mavericks installing.

I basically just want to find out what experiences are like. There's no way I could afford -- or would be insane enough to buy -- a $600 1TB SSD. My iMac right now is basically a media server that is also my "I need an actual computer to do this" machine. I bought it -- mid-2010 model, bought in November 2010 -- not too long ago, and it mostly runs fine. But I messed around on a MacBook Air a couple of years ago and noticed the speed even then.

I'm also curious as to why this pretty much seems to be the only hybrid drive available. Apple's Fusion Drive has 128GB of flash compared to this one having 8GB. Some tests showed that booting is faster and various tasks are a little bit faster, but then others aren't much different at all. If a 2TB Fusion Drive (with the 128GB of flash) config were sold for about $250 or $300, that would be enticing. But I'm also guessing Apple doesn't care because the company isn't really built around upgrading parts.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
There are 2 things to look for in a Hybrid SSHD - the cache size and the rotational speed of the drive. Some of Seagates's SSHDs are 5400RPM, others are 7200RPM - you would want a 7200RPM drive.

Hexley

Suspended
Jun 10, 2009
Michael could you run a Blackmagic Disk Speed Test and post the results here? I have a 2007 iMac I'd like to upgrade but would rather not waste the 3.5-inch space with a 2.5-inch drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.