Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
I've been a faithful iPhone user pretty much since the iPhone came out. Never really experienced Android. A co worker just got an LG G2. It's an older device but he said it still holds up to today's devices. I was playing with it yesterday and I have to say I was extremely impressed. Very smooth. The battery is 3000mAH. Not that I'm tired of iOS I'm thinking it might be time for a change.

Has any faithful iOS users have switched and never came back? What has been your experience with Android?

LucasEVille

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
Nottingham & London, UK
I swapped to android (long story) on a Sony Xperia Z1 and then the Z2. I would be lying if I said I hated every minute, but I can't wait for September when I finally come home to ios.

deep1

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2011
I've been a faithful iPhone user pretty much since the iPhone came out. Never really experienced Android. A co worker just got an LG G2. It's an older device but he said it still holds up to today's devices. I was playing with it yesterday and I have to say I was extremely impressed. Very smooth. The battery is 3000mAH. Not that I'm tired of iOS I'm thinking it might be time for a change.

Has any faithful iOS users have switched and never came back? What has been your experience with Android?

I am iPhone user since 1st gen and made switch last year after purchasing the iphone 6 plus and was not impressed, during my 8 months with Android i tried almost all phones starting S5 -> Htc M8 -> Lg g3-> One plus one-> Nexus 6> Note 4 and finally settled on Note 4 for few months, great device but constant problem.

One day battery last for 3 days and next day die in half day, you fix one thing and something else comes up. constant camera crash and few other bugs. Android is good but lollipop and google play service is killing the battery and if you concern your privacy then don't even think about it, facebook etc will keep tracking your location even though you have location off.

Then phone with SD card have their own problem with indexing, it will keep indexing and draqin battery, finally i had enough and bought 6 plus again, and now i can deny facebook to use my location and not run in background and it doesn't and so other features. Android is good in customizing but there is not much you can do , iPhone is overall better experience and conssistent.

SdkDel

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2014

Ex-LG G2 user here. After having used pretty much most of Android's "flagship" models (Samsung Note 3, HTC One M7 & M8, LG G2, LG G3, back to LG G2) I can say that I would never "stick" to Android for an extended period of time.

After my 3GS, I moved to a Iphone 4. Then I decided to return to Android, and tried just about every flagship model for a few months. The BEST I ever tried was the LG G2 (to the point that I upgraded to the LG G3, and found that it just wasn't an improvement, so I moved back to the LG G2) and even though it's a 2013 flagship model, it still is pretty amazing, for Android's standards. The only real issue is the constant hiss you can hear from the headphone jack, which depending on what kind of music you listen to, it can be slightly disturbing. Apart from that, the screen is excellent.

I moved to a different city recently where I'd be commuting to work via Underground, so no more Google Music streaming for me (had over 120GB of lossless music there that I had uploaded). So I now needed a phone with a MicroSD card slot that would support a 128GB MicroSD. I decided to try the Iphone 6 128gb just in case, and boy, was I surprised. Smoothness in all apps, very nice weight and comfy in my pocket. Plus, I can't stress enough how WELL apps work in iOS compared to Android, where the market is so spec-fragmented, that every single app is a bit of a lottery, and you never know if it'll work properly on your Android phone or not.

Plus, every time Android updates, they tend to put in features that NO ONE wants. Like on the G2, they upgraded to Lollipop, and suddenly the notification LED brightness has been reduced to 50%, battery drains faster, some apps crash, and you can't use "Silent mode" if you want to set a wake-up alarm, because it won't even go off with sound...

You know what they say, "the grass is always greener on the other side"... for the initial period anyway.

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
I am currently using a 2014 Moto X and I enjoy the experience. I've always loved using stock Android as it is a mostly fluid experience and currently looks amazing. I have used Nexus devices in the past to get this experience and get fast updates. I would suggest getting a device that runs 5.1+ Lollipop as 5.0 is a buggy mess. Only issue is that the devices that run stock tend to have horrible camera software, and the devices that have good camera software (Samsung, LG, etc.) tend to have horrible UI skins (in my opinion). I would love to have a phone running stock Android with good camera software but that doesn't seem possible.

If you go Android I'd suggest looking at a device first before you buy it and don't be afraid to look at the less popular brands (not Samsung), get a 5.1 build, and don't pay too much. I will most likely be switching to ios this fall as I grow tired of Android, but I will miss some of the fun associated with it.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I came to Apple from PC (2003) and from Windows Mobile (2012). That experience has helped me avoid the koolaid while being able to enjoy the good things.

I have an iPhone 5 and an iPhone 6 Plus. Both phones that I like, although I much prefer iOS 6 to 7 and 8.

Recently, we got two LG G-Pad F7 tablets as part of an upgrade promotion. I have to say that if this is representative of Android – I am not impressed. The tablets are slow, laggy and the default icons lack any sort of attractiveness. That said, I do appreciate that I can go to Google Play on one device and start a download to my tablet of an app or other item. Google is doing some things right.

But there is no way I could use an Android phone as a daily driver - with one exception. And that would be HTC. Coming to Apple from an HTC Touch Pro running Sense 2.1 w/Weather I very much appreciate HTC's Sense platform. And I am attracted by the new Windows phones UI.

But just not enough to jump ship.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I always have an iPhone and an Android device so I can switch back and forth routinely and have the best of both worlds. Currently have an iPhone 6 Plus and a Nexus 6 and couldn't be happier!

I'll be getting an iPhone 6S Plus and the next Nexus this year as well.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I don't see the point in pledging allegiance to any one platform. I use the one that works best for me at the given time. From 2008-2012ish I was primarily an iOS user. From then on I've been primarily an Android user and still keep devices from all of the major platforms. It's an electronic not a religion or marriage.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Now that this thread has been moved from what I assume was the iPhone forum, you'll quickly see a great number of regular members here are converts to Android or at least regularly use the platform (count myself in this category). I currently use an iPhone but could live pretty comfortably (albeit with a few compromises of my own choosing ;)) using an Android phone. As I prefer stock (or close to it) Android on unlocked devices, there presently isn't an Android device out that ticks enough of the boxes (unlocked, stock Android, very good camera and very good battery life) to sway me to switch.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'm mobile device agnostic.... I'll try anything and everything. Can't really appreciate what's good about each until you do.

Reactions: gotluck

iSheep5S

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2013
Scotland
I flick back and forth, (i have a thread going) but mostly stay on Android as i get less bored. Currently a Samsung Galaxy S5. Not sure about the S6 as i like an SD card and a changeable battery. It's OK if an Apple battery dies but a sealed Samsung?

I know iOS is more reliable and you do have to know your apps on Android but i'll take that for the more interesting phone.

There are winners and losers on Android. If your beta testing Android go stock. I have a Nexus 7 and it is great. I have had stock Android phones too.

You wont find a better Android argument than here.

uid15

Suspended
Mar 9, 2015
I'm not sure "faith" comes into consumer technology; you use what works best, and reliably, and if that metric changes, you move as often as you need to,

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Ex-LG G2 user here. After having used pretty much most of Android's "flagship" models (Samsung Note 3, HTC One M7 & M8, LG G2, LG G3, back to LG G2) I can say that I would never "stick" to Android for an extended period of time.

I would say the choice of manufacturers was your issue, not your choice of base OS. All those devices have "skins" on the OS which change the experience. I was HATING my experience with my HTC Thunderbolt, switched to a Moto X and it's been absolutely fantastic as it's a near-stock experience. Samsung and HTC specifically have been notorious for laggy interfaces or skins. Sure, most people that don't know or care will say it's the best phone going, but someone that's paying attention or looking for flaws IS going to see where those devices fall short compared to others.

Reactions: apolloa

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Switched to Android after my iPhone 4 and haven't looked back. Android was better for me back then and has only improved to the point that Lollipop on my Note 4 is as smooth as iOS while still being much more functional.Win/Win.

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
Me. I've only owned a iPhone (5s) for a few months and came running back to Android. What caught me originally was the HTC Hero offered by Sprint. It looked different and HTC Sense (I thought at the time) was very nice looking. I used that for a year, naturally upgraded to the HTC Evo 4G, and there it went. I tried Windows Phone in between but eventually came back to Android. I've since had a HTC One (M7), Nexus 5, and OnePlus One. I personally have stuck with Android for all of these years because I enjoy the deep customization aspect of it. Each and everyone one of my phones has been rooted and have seen many different ROMs in the time I used it as a daily device.

I just recently switched to Cricket, from Sprint, and currently have the SIM in a Lumia 1520. I'd like to try out Windows Phone as a daily driver for a little while, so why not try it out with a great device! Although I like Windows Phone and what it has to offer, Android is my personal favourite.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I always loved the iPhone and had one up to and including the iP5 which I had new for a month, I used it in direct competition to the Galaxy S4. (I think it was the S4 but could be mistaken.) I sold the iPhone 5, undoubtedly great phones but I found that they were lacking in some departments and did not give me the same user experience. (In my opinion) The screen on the iPhone was to small, they didn't allow swype type keyboards and other things that I found annoying, I know Apple have rectified these omissions but the old argument that they wait and make things better just doesn't wash, how can one make a bigger screen better, it is either bigger or smaller, how can they make a swipe type keyboard better when it is an app? TBH, for me, their stubbornness (perfect size screen) lost me as a customer.

Having "played" with the iPhone 6 and 6+ (only in shops) I find that I have no desire to return.

I have had most Galaxy phones from the S4 and Nexus from the Nexus 4 and prefer Android, my current is a Nexus 6.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Android faithful since 2012 although was skeptical with it from 2008-2011. Then Jelly Bean arrived with Project Butter. Then KitKat arrived with Project Svelte. Never looked back. Owned five Androids and generally liked them all except the locally branded one. But my experienced really peaked with my 4th Android and KitKat 4.4.2.

Apple already lost me starting in 2011 and ending as a primary in 2013. They don't even have apps to play a video on the homescreen.

The best complementary OS behind Android is really Windows Phone. The Nokia Lumia 635 is one of the greatest secondary devices I ever had. Perfect size. Only 5mm taller than iPhone 5/5s but with louder sound, longer battery life, and half an inch bigger display. Amazing deal.

Rooting is too fun. TubeMate and gestures like double tap to wake and swipe up anywhere in the homescreen for the screen to turn off is too fun. A smartphone with a removable battery and micro-sd slot is for a peace of mind in the longer term. The physical home button which wears out and lack of a back button is archaic. I also still loathe the app icons since iOS7.

The only reason I would go back to iOS is for the camera which isn't the best anyway. Nokia have superior sensors with Carl Zeiss. Samsung is just as great. The iPhone camera has always look yellowish in indoor lighting since the 4. And battery life have been surpassed by companies like Huawei and Sony. The iPhones offer very little features (little RAM, no removable battery, no expandable storage, no FM radio, sideload apps w/o JB) and value (2-3x more pricier) for a tinkerer who knows more than the average Joe. I can make a $100 Android work better than a $700 iPhone where most people are clueless how to truly utilize the software or overkill with their apps.

Android fan for life here. I also like OEM's like LG, Xiaomi, and Huawei. Samsung trying to copy Apple in the premiums is kinda funny to me knowing LG probably makes the superior Korean products but never gets credit for it. People like to overpay for gadgets built for obsolescence which is an endless cycle for Apple's wallets to never get skinny. Just like the overpriced HDTV revolution from the 2000's. We buy $2000-$4000 TV's that may only last 5-6 years just to see a clearer picture but doesn't change the quality of the content. Not like the decade long devices from the 1990's or before. A video console is a better bet than another overpriced smartphone. At least you get a decade or two of entertainment from it.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011

Tried both iOS and Android around the time of the iPhone 3G / 3GS and much preferred iOS. Tried an Android phone again at the end of 2013 and it had _massively_ improved. I have not switched back. I particularly like the extra functionality afforded by widgets, the app drawer, and between-app interaction, as well as the wide choice of hardware and price points.

However, for my tablet I continue with iOS since iPad apps are excellent.

I only really have two irritations with Android. These are:
1. Backup and restore is better on iOS
2. I like the system-wide "define word" feature in iOS, which Android does not have. However, the "Google Now on Tap" feature in Android 6 might make this limitation redundant.

Last edited:

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
I would look at android, but - I really love being able to answer calls/texts on my iPad and mac!

I last used a galaxy S3...hopefully it doesn't get as sluggish when widgets are used.

Also, I kind of thought widgets were pointless the more I used them.

At least on the galaxy s3 and prior evo 4g - if widgets are not updating for ten minutes or so, then you'd have to press the update button. And if you set them to update more often, the battery goes quicker..

At that point - what's the point?

Since I still need to press refresh when I want to check my mail/news - wouldn't it be better to spend the one second clicking on my preferred news/mail app and getting current info in a better app?

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I don't know about faithful but I've been on android consistently since since the S5, Note 4 and S6.

Just keep in mind it isn't 2010. Switching back and forth is super easy, and not a big deal at all.

I actually plan on switching back in the fall if the iPhone 6S features 2GB of RAM...maybe...

Last edited:

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
If I got a nickel for every post I read saying "I tried Android for the first time or with many phonea and came running back to iPhone" or "Apple just works, smooth, cohesive, etc..." Wow, I would have enough money to retire in Florida before turning 35. Common jibber jabber here in this Apple-centric forum but probably no different than Android forums too.

I still like iPhone ever since it was first announced in January 2007. If Android wasn't my primary, I would choose iOS over Windows Phone but would rather choose WP as a secondary to Android since iOS and Android can look and feel similar. I watched how iOS matured over time just like Android when it was still on Cupcake with the G1. Steve Jobs was right that iPhone OS was probably FIVE YEARS AHEAD of anything else out there. But those five years finally caught up to them by 2012. Hardware is still great. Software is less flexible and too proprietary to go back.

The beauty of Android for me are hidden in the SETTINGS of each app I download. Being a Japanese RPG fan with video games, I could tinker with the settings for hours. The settings are more ROBUST like in the SwiftKey and Pocket app for Android. Even Moon+ Reader Pro can be a complicated settings mess but one of the best e-book reader apps ever if tinkered right. I didn’t know anything about SCREEN ON TIME until Android showed it to me. WP doesn't show SOT in its battery usage settings. I didn’t know about CPU being throttled down to 1-1.1 GHz during battery saving modes until I used AnTuTu and CPU throttle apps. Android taught me all that by showing it to me with the apps.

Back in the day, owning an iPhone felt exclusive to me. Nowadays, it is as common as having a Facebook account. And FB did start exclusively for college students during the heyday of Friendster and MySpace. I feel smartphones is heading in the realm of TV's. A 4K TV would look nicer to look at but it wouldn't prevent the movie or TV show from sucking too much. Those folks buying $4000+ TV's or Blu-ray during the 00's are paying the cutting-edge experience first. Nore luxury than necessity.

My current phase is buying CHEAP, GOOD VALUE phones. As many as 2-4 smartphones that can add up to a single iPhone or most flagships. Low risk, high reward potential. If one breaks, there is always another one to replace it. Most flagships are high risk, barely better rewards than midrangers. The difference is in quality of camera or nicer display. Except cam, we post it on FB which downgrades the resolution and we can always use Photoshop or Instagram. And with display, we don't really need 1080p for smartphone when most videos streamed online is 720p or lower. This is why I am NOT into the 2K revolution with many of these 2015 flagships. Overkill.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm not faithful to any platform. I'd rather select what I feel is the best solution for my needs. I've used Windows phones, android and iOS. Each of their own set of advantages and disadvantages. I currently have an iPhone 6+ and a Lumia 830.

Reactions: Mr. McMac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.