Any fan issues like the mac book air?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Mercuric Oxide, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Mercuric Oxide macrumors 6502

I have a mac book air, and the fan drives me insane everyday.

It has reached the point where I avoid YouTube or watching any type of video, as the fans at 6000 RPM is extremely annoying.

Do the macbooks suffer from this problem (the new ones, and what about the new mbp)?

Thanks

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I haven't heard my fan yet. iStat reports it has gotten as fast as just under 2000 rpm. I had 6 YouTube videos running and exporting an iMovie when I demoed it in store and fans never went over 2,000 rpm. This babies silent.

3. Mercuric Oxide thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank god.

And thanks for the reply. I'll definitely be ebaying this mba after I try out the glass trackpad.

4. gyumilly macrumors member

Wow. that's really impressive. My white MB makes lots of noise and I'm thinking about upgrading to either MB or MBP. But looks like I don't have to go for MBP. Thanks!

5. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

You might want to go ahead and sell the MBA but wait and see how the new MBA does on fan noise. I bet it will be a lot quieter. You might want to buy a new rev MBA vs a new rev MB.

6. dinaluvsApple macrumors regular

the alu books at very quiet, even the ones at apple store didnt have fans running when i went.

7. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

because of the compartmentalized unibody aluminum chassis, the new MacBooks are extremely efficient. you can actually fry an egg on the left side wrist rest and keep a beverage cold on the right side. however Apple does warn against clicking the glass trackpad during food preparation. :D

8. darrellishere macrumors 6502

Fan noise aside, the fans not kicking in and staying on 2000rmp while the motherboard temperature reaches 70c is not a good thing in my experience.

Nividia chips fail due to excessive heat and I don't trust apples programing on anything other than the air in cooling the system down.

Maybe Im buyist as a graphics card failed in my imac due to a year and a half of apparently heavy graphics use e.g. YouTube ;)

Now Im forced to use SMC Fan Control to cool my Al MacBook's motherboard.

Im not frying this baby!