Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ejemplo1111

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2015
hello everyone
I was wondering , is there a fan inside the late 2015 iMac with SSD? And for that matter , is there one on a FUSION drive as well ? I just can't hear it no matter how hard I push it . Just a thought

Thanks for reading

gian8989

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2015
hello everyone
I was wondering , is there a fan inside the late 2015 iMac with SSD? And for that matter , is there one on a FUSION drive as well ? I just can't hear it no matter how hard I push it . Just a thought

Thanks for reading

Yes. If you want to be sure if your fan is working try to download a software to manually increase fan speed. I would have tried with something like cinebench to push the imac but before doing any damage check if the fan is working.

ejemplo1111

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2015
Got it, thanks for the replay, i guess All imacs have some type of fan inside, i just thought the SSD version did not have it since there is no spinner to cool down

MinEderPlayz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2013
Hamburg, Germany
Yes CPUs and GPUs generate gigantic amounts of heat when you consider how small they are. There are fans in the 27" iMac but Apple's configuration does make it pretty hard to hear them during normal use.

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
California
I'm impressed with how quiet the late 2015 iMac 27 is. I have the 4 ghz version and fusion drive and it's as silent as an iPhone or iPad in regular use. My external TB drive which I consider to be otherwise very quiet makes infinitely more noise in use than the iMac. The only time I've heard the iMac's fans was transcoding in Handbrake. But that app pegs the CPU, all cores with hyper-threading.

Once Handbrake is done though he fans rev down just as fast as they reved up so it's only momentary (and the fans aren't that loud - but they do sound front and center). Since Handbrake throws so much CPU power at transcoding it's very fast at finishing a transcode so again it's only momentary for the fans.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

Check out iFixit tear down the iMac uses a fan to cool the interior as it does not depend on passive cooling like the MacBook

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
I heard the fan on the 21" 4K iMac rev really high when I'd flip through photos on Photos. I'm assuming that was because of the lack of dGPU, but I never did get to the bottom of that (and I no longer have the computer, so can't run more experiments).

I might be buying a 27" iMac if I decide to return my MBP. Do the fans rev when browsing Photos? I thought that was pretty pathetic on the 21" and am hoping it doesn't happen as well on the 27".

curtvaughan

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2016
Austin, TX
I heard the fan on the 21" 4K iMac rev really high when I'd flip through photos on Photos. I'm assuming that was because of the lack of dGPU, but I never did get to the bottom of that (and I no longer have the computer, so can't run more experiments).

I might be buying a 27" iMac if I decide to return my MBP. Do the fans rev when browsing Photos? I thought that was pretty pathetic on the 21" and am hoping it doesn't happen as well on the 27".

On the two 21" iMacs I've owned (a 2010 and then a 2014) fans began to rev up more often after about 18 months, the problem being that dust had begun to accumulate over the vent holes (one on bottom of machine, the other on the rear behind the stand. Since the iMac internal hardware is fairly tightly packed it is fairly susceptible to overheating if the vents are clogged. Vacuuming out the vents periodically fixed the noisy fan issues for me.

MinEderPlayz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2013
Hamburg, Germany

They do not, at least for me. Though I have the M395/6700K combo so photos is fairly light load for them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.