Any feedback on AOL Mail?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Dodgeman, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Dodgeman macrumors 65816

I know it probably sounds a bit archaic to go want to move to this but I have a few reasons to avoid some of the other more mainstream email accounts and was just curious if anyone had any experience with them as their main email provider..?

2. Zenithal macrumors 604

I used AOL mail right up until 2001 or 2002. My opinion is probably very dated by now. I believe I transferred to Yahoo! and then went to GMail during the beta. Between Yahoo!, GMail and Outlook.com, I prefer GMail for its fast interface, ability to setup complex filters and general ease of use. Yahoo! is a pain in the butt and Outlook.com is so script heavy it's slow or manages to lockup just about any browser.

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

AOL with Oath's new terms of service along with Yahoo is probably the worst provider now.

4. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

5. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

My guess is that your best solution is a paid email service.

6. chown33 macrumors 604

If you're gonna go old school, then Bronze Age is the way. Try MCI Mail, Prodigy, or eWorld.

For the truly Paleolithic, there's always IP over avian carrier (aka InterPigeon protocol).

7. Zenithal macrumors 604

All of these services offer a paid plan that removes ads and brings more features. Though I think the OP may like Zoho the most.

8. Dodgeman thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah I have heard of Zoho.
    Yahoo I am just not a fan of part of it is due to hack they suffered.
    Outlook and such are just ok as well.
    However gmail has been great but maybe it's something I am overlooking.... I find a lot of mail goes to spam maybe I can adjust this but haven't played with the "settings"?
    Also I am not a fan of the other tabs like Important and Promotions.... if can adjust those items I think I would be ok.

9. willmtaylor, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

If you would provide those reasons, more relevant suggestions could be made.

10. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

My very first email account was with Yahoo. Got it back in 1999, so going on 20 years now.

This is the email I hand out when I don't want someone or some entity knowing my main email address or when I expect spam. Yahoo has a fairly good spam filter.

Additionally, I mainly access it via IMAP in my email apps so I'm not usually dealing with the web interface.

11. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

12. Dodgeman thread starter macrumors 65816

Come on it can't be that antiquated.

13. Apple fanboy macrumors Penryn

Apple fanboy

My first email address was @aol. It was a while back now!

These days I use @me.com for desired mail.
    Or gmail for shopping etc.

I have a yahoo one that gets used when you have to leave an email address but you don’t want to!

Only the me.com comes through to my phone. I just log in to the webmail portal on the other two when required.

14. throwthedice macrumors 6502

I've heard proton mail is pretty secure. I have an account there but I'm not using it as my daily driver.

15. Dodgeman thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah that big hack of yahoo, was driving me away from them and those stupid icons in their web app.
    The iCloud mail would be a great option, however... & a big however I do not use iCloud I back all my apple stuff up to the computer. Plus if I ever decide to rid myself of everything apple then I am stuck with an email address tied to them...

16. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

It is, though.

17. Zenithal macrumors 604

We could build a wall thrice over with the amount of CDs AOL sent out back in the day. I probably had gotten well over 200 CDs by the end of my service. They make decent shooting targets, though.

18. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I suppose you’re no more tied to your Apple account then you are your AOL account. You can still you iCloud email independent of Apple devices.

19. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

Have you considered registering a domain name for your own email address? It’s pretty cheap.

Many of the hosts have no nonsense, ad free, web logins. You can change hosts whenever you want, without changing your address. If you want ultimate control. You can host it yourself.

20. Dodgeman thread starter macrumors 65816

Good option, but I may not go through all that trouble.
    I may give this aol email a try. If it is not what I want guess I will stick to google.

21. Tmelon macrumors 65816

I thought someone had bumped an old thread from 2005...

22. Dodgeman thread starter macrumors 65816

Its very much alive

23. samcraig macrumors P6

I'm having trouble with my password recovery from Prodigy, CompuServe and Genie...