Any feedback on AOL Mail?

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 30, 2016
I know it probably sounds a bit archaic to go want to move to this but I have a few reasons to avoid some of the other more mainstream email accounts and was just curious if anyone had any experience with them as their main email provider..?

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
I used AOL mail right up until 2001 or 2002. My opinion is probably very dated by now. I believe I transferred to Yahoo! and then went to GMail during the beta. Between Yahoo!, GMail and Outlook.com, I prefer GMail for its fast interface, ability to setup complex filters and general ease of use. Yahoo! is a pain in the butt and Outlook.com is so script heavy it's slow or manages to lockup just about any browser.

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 30, 2016
Yeah I have heard of Zoho.
Yahoo I am just not a fan of part of it is due to hack they suffered.
Outlook and such are just ok as well.
However gmail has been great but maybe it's something I am overlooking.... I find a lot of mail goes to spam maybe I can adjust this but haven't played with the "settings"?
Also I am not a fan of the other tabs like Important and Promotions.... if can adjust those items I think I would be ok.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I know it probably sounds a bit archaic to go want to move to this but I have a few reasons to avoid some of the other more mainstream email accounts and was just curious if anyone had any experience with them as their main email provider..?
If you would provide those reasons, more relevant suggestions could be made.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
AOL with Oath's new terms of service along with Yahoo is probably the worst provider now.
My very first email account was with Yahoo. Got it back in 1999, so going on 20 years now.

This is the email I hand out when I don't want someone or some entity knowing my main email address or when I expect spam. Yahoo has a fairly good spam filter.

Additionally, I mainly access it via IMAP in my email apps so I'm not usually dealing with the web interface.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Come on it can't be that antiquated.
My first email address was @aol. It was a while back now!

These days I use @me.com for desired mail.
Or gmail for shopping etc.

I have a yahoo one that gets used when you have to leave an email address but you don’t want to!

Only the me.com comes through to my phone. I just log in to the webmail portal on the other two when required.

throwthedice

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2015
I've heard proton mail is pretty secure. I have an account there but I'm not using it as my daily driver.

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 30, 2016
My first email address was @aol. It was a while back now!

These days I use @me.com for desired mail.
Or gmail for shopping etc.

I have a yahoo one that gets used when you have to leave an email address but you don’t want to!

Only the me.com comes through to my phone. I just log in to the webmail portal on the other two when required.
Yeah that big hack of yahoo, was driving me away from them and those stupid icons in their web app.
The iCloud mail would be a great option, however... & a big however I do not use iCloud I back all my apple stuff up to the computer. Plus if I ever decide to rid myself of everything apple then I am stuck with an email address tied to them...

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
We could build a wall thrice over with the amount of CDs AOL sent out back in the day. I probably had gotten well over 200 CDs by the end of my service. They make decent shooting targets, though.

Reactions: BasicGreatGuy

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68020
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
Yeah that big hack of yahoo, was driving me away from them and those stupid icons in their web app.
The iCloud mail would be a great option, however... & a big however I do not use iCloud I back all my apple stuff up to the computer. Plus if I ever decide to rid myself of everything apple then I am stuck with an email address tied to them...
I suppose you’re no more tied to your Apple account then you are your AOL account. You can still you iCloud email independent of Apple devices.

velocityg4

macrumors 601
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Have you considered registering a domain name for your own email address? It’s pretty cheap.

Many of the hosts have no nonsense, ad free, web logins. You can change hosts whenever you want, without changing your address. If you want ultimate control. You can host it yourself.

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 30, 2016
Have you considered registering a domain name for your own email address? It’s pretty cheap.

Many of the hosts have no nonsense, ad free, web logins. You can change hosts whenever you want, without changing your address. If you want ultimate control. You can host it yourself.
Good option, but I may not go through all that trouble.
I may give this aol email a try. If it is not what I want guess I will stick to google.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.