Any feedback on the iHome iA100?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by todd03blown, Dec 28, 2010.

1. todd03blown macrumors member

Hey folks - I am ready to buy a nice docking station/alarm clock for my iphone4. My preferred one right now is this iA100 however I seem to find somewhat mixed reviews but those reviews are sometime from early november.

Anyone on this forum have any feedback on this unit? If not any other units out there you all recommend in this $200 price range?

2. The Green Mac macrumors member

I love it. Fantastic system. Buy it! Want to know anything in particular about it?

3. todd03blown thread starter macrumors member

Sure!
    How is the sound quality?
    Did you cross shop any other brands or models?
    How is the sleep app working? As advertised?

Thanks for the info!

4. bob.loblaw macrumors member

5. todd03blown thread starter macrumors member

6. bob.loblaw macrumors member

FWIW I was going to get one of these, but I installed the iHome+sleep app and am going to try to use that plus a cheaper speaker dock. Seems like it has 95% of the functionality for alot less $

7. todd03blown thread starter macrumors member

I am also looking at the stem time command clock/docking station but can only find a couple reviews on that unit which is from a new company. It is only $99 and has it's own app just like the iHome.

8. The Green Mac macrumors member

I would read this. Its a nicely done review of the system.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/ihome-ia100-bluetooth-audio-system-for-ipod-iphone-ipad/

As for sound quality, its good, but only respective to it's size. It wont blow you away, but it cant be considered bad either. As long as you manage your expectations that it's a clock radio you wont be disappointed. Im very happy with the sound quality.

The iSleep is especially nice in that you can control every aspect of the unit from the app if you want to.

9. todd03blown thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the feedback. It will reside in my master bedroom so I am sure the sound will be quite nice for that room and met my expectations.

10. todd03blown thread starter macrumors member

Just placed the order for mine! Cannot wait to get this!!

11. todd03blown thread starter macrumors member

It shipped out today and will arrive Wednesday! Excited to get this new toy and try it out!

12. borka105 macrumors newbie

Question

It seems like this product is geared to be used in the bedroom.

What if I wanted to use it soley for the living room as a way to play music in the evenings and during parties (not too loud since I am in a condo development).

Is this player too unattractive be in the living room? Does it scream bedside alarm clark?

Or, would it be an acceptable music player in the living room.

Thanks

13. todd03blown thread starter macrumors member

I think it would do just fine in that situation but it depends on your furniture as well. I don't think it scream bedroom alarm clock at all. It is a nice piece and does a good job with the sound. It is not loud by any means but does a great job for a smaller bedroom area.
    I really like mine, nicely put together and very to use with nice sound quality.

14. RichChick macrumors newbie

Weekend Alarm issues

I got the iA100 in January 2010 and the first one I received had issues with the bluetooth not pairing up with my iPhone if I left the room and returned. I would have to make my iPhone forget the device and then re-pair it. What a pain in the neck. AND, for some reason, when I try to set a weekend alarm, it never goes off. Instead of showing X number of hours til the alarm is supposed to go off (my weekday alarm for example displays as 8H on the LCD Screen...) it will show X number of Days (for instance 6D instead). I tried changing the alarm to a daily alarm and it continues to display X number of days and still doesn't go off. I'm not sure if I'm setting something incorrectly or if this is a bug.

I like that you can totally black out the LCD display at night, which is good, but in order to see the time, say in the middle of the night, you have to turn it on (it then comes on at the brightest setting) and then cycle through all the brightness settings to go to black again.

It also has this annoying beep when you plug in, unplug, change alarm settings or turn the alarm off, so if your significant other is asleep, it could wake them. Annoying.

The sound is pretty good and I like that you can use it as a speaker phone.