Any Fiction Writers Out There? Need Advice

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by W1MRK, Dec 22, 2010.

1. W1MRK macrumors 6502

Hello all. Looking to get a App for my wife to help her with her fiction novel.

Was looking at Scrivener, and also at Storymill.

Scrivener Looks like it is a well rated program for keeping characters and story items in order.

Has anyone found these programs to be helpful or more of a hinder from a regular word processor?

Is there any other programs I should be looking at for her?

And finally should I wait to buy this till after the mac app store opens as there may be a price drop?

Thanks all

Mike

2. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Scrivener is amazing, and vastly preferable to using a regular word processor for longer documents, especially if you are like me and don't write papers or fiction linearly, but in bits and pieces. I Use a combination of Scrivener and Pages for anything longer than 1,000 words or so: Scrivener for writing, and Pages for formatting.

Version 2.0 recently came out, too, with some great improvements. It's highly flexible, so you can pretty much set it up how you write. And it has a lot of templates for fiction writing, among other things. Support is amazing, too––the developer is very active on the forums.

That said, both apps have 30 day trials, so why not have your wife try them out and see which one she prefers? And that'll let you buy it from the App Store. I doubt there will be changes in price, though (Scrivener 2.0 got a slight price increase).

3. Badradio macrumors 6502

Another vote for Scrivener. Every time I see a new bit of software that looks useful for researching, plotting, capturing ideas and so on, Scriv already does it, and usually better. For large works, there's nothing to beat it at the price, if at any price.

4. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

Also, Scrivener. I have been using sporadically for two years, but with the latest version and an additional job as editor, I am using it every day. What a step up from anything I have used for this process! Organization, research, writing, all of it can be done in Scrivener. When ready to submit, export is simple. Word processors (Mellel especially, which I use for any serious writing with Hebrew) are great for their tasks, but none can compare to what Scrivener offers. And there many published authors (including fiction writers) who have been using Scrivener.

This is well worth your time to learn. Check out the videos showing some of the basics.

As for price, it is already a great bargain. And it will not be in the Mac App store right away, because they had concentrated on version 2.

5. W1MRK thread starter macrumors 6502

Well this helps make up my mind. Thanks everyone :)

Mike