Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vraxtus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
Got my mom setup on a Pismo but she often complains that Safari has too many compatibility issues (loading pages, images, perlscript forms, etc.)

I know about Firefox but never used it. Any recommendations?

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
It's great, give it a shot! Probably a little better compatibility-wise, looks very similar.
I can't believe that Safari has problems with perl scripts, since they're server-side, and this is the first Mom I've ever heard complain about compatibility!

Lee Tom

vraxtus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
LeeTom said:
It's great, give it a shot! Probably a little better compatibility-wise, looks very similar.
I can't believe that Safari has problems with perl scripts, since they're server-side, and this is the first Mom I've ever heard complain about compatibility!

Lee Tom

Well for some reason she has a lot of image loading problems... and forms just don't work at times. I've also experienced Flash problems a few times, in particular with places like JetBlue when trying to get a seat assignment (if that even is a Flash app... might be Java?)

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
I don't use it on my Mac, only because I like Safari's integration with .Mac. If it weren't for that, I'd use it.

On my PC however, that's another story...Firefox all the way!

vraxtus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
Thanks guys!

One last thing... how "quickly" does it run?

I remember back in the day when they first released Netscape 6 for OS9 it was slowwwwwwww as hell and took forever to load.

craigdawg

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2004
Sactown
I'm using it right now...on my PC at work. It has some great extensions. Adblock is blocking the banner ads on this page. (Sorry Macrumors.com). You can download different themes, which is cool.

The OS X version is not as refined as the PC version. You don't see the vertical scroll bar, for example. (It will still scroll). It's more stable than Safari though.

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
vraxtus said:
Thanks guys!

One last thing... how "quickly" does it run?

I remember back in the day when they first released Netscape 6 for OS9 it was slowwwwwwww as hell and took forever to load.
very quickly it runs.

SolidGun

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2004
Twin Cities
When you lauch the app, it does take a little longer than Safari, but as long as you have it on it is fast. I use FireFox for both Mac and PC, and I prefer this over other browsers (close 2nd being Opera, because FireFox is free).

phrancpharmD

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2003
Historic Norcross
MattG said:
I don't use it on my Mac, only because I like Safari's integration with .Mac. If it weren't for that, I'd use it.

On my PC however, that's another story...Firefox all the way!

Ditto - I use Safari at home but got Firefox running on the Windows box at work. I guess I just can't live without tabbed browsing anymore. . . ; )

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
Our office is mixed Mac/PCs, and most of the Mac folks use Safari and the PC folks use Firefox. At home I've just started migrating from Safari to Firefox, and aside from a few form display issues I love Firefox. Right now my biggest complaint is that Firefox is still in public beta, so sometimes a site that doesn't work quite right in it will appear and function fine in Safari. However, Safari is also still pretty new, and M$ has bastardized Java and HTML so much that sometimes I still revert back to IE5 to make things work.

As a side note, Mozilla is working on a project called Sunbird, which comes in a stand-alone version and integrated version to Firefox (and a couple other of its browsers, I believe). What's cool about Sunbird (AKA Mozilla Calendar) is that when running with Firefox on PCs, it will allow PC users to access our iCal WebDAV server on our XServe and subscribe/publish calendars through it. So now we're all running ical or iCal (the open source or Apple's). :D

abhijit_dixit

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2004
It runs great. Most of the extensions work on a Mac quite nicely. The only problem is the non-Mac-native UI which sometimes doesn't highlight form elements properly. But, it's perfect for a normal user.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.