any first gen ipad users upgrade to 4.3 yet?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by patp, Mar 8, 2011.

1. patp Guest

2. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

3. patp thread starter Guest

4. Onimusha370 macrumors 6502a

safari seems similar to me, but maybe abit faster yes.
    theres more of a difference on my iphone 4, but it might just be my internet playing up...
    4.3's very stable though, and while there isn't many great features for me, i do enjoy having my orientation switch back.
    its like having a hug with an old friend the first time you do it again :D

5. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

I see zero difference in 4.3 in browser speed.

6. AndrewS macrumors member

browser is MUCH faster in 4.3. Sites like Fark.com with lots of text in threads loads much quicker. A definite improvement.

7. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

are the web improvements limited to safari or will Atomic be faster too?

8. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502a

That70sGAdawg

N.Georgia, USA (on the Lake, near the Mountains)
    Hopefully it will be out for all later today , or tomorrow- early as some are predicting.
    The Apple servers are already going to be slammed on Friday- let us iPad 1 owners have it now !!!:mad:

9. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Overall, it's somewhat faster; I do like the enhancements to AirPlay, iTunes Home Sharing and the function selector for the switch next to the volume controls. Besides that, nothing new to get hyped about, unless I really missed something important.
    It's an upgrade worth doing, I just wished there was more to it.

10. maclook macrumors 65816

The multitouch gestures seem really cool if you manage to turn them on (jailbreak required)

11. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502a

That70sGAdawg

N.Georgia, USA (on the Lake, near the Mountains)
    Unless you "need" a low grade camera, or are a "gamer", I think the software improvements of OS 4.3 will keep a lot of iPad 1 owners whom surf, read, listen to music, etc. from having to buy an iPad 2.

12. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Ah, but I'm not planning to jailbreak just yet. But I could use the multitouch features.. :(

13. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

A jailbreak is not required to activate the multitouch gestures. You just need to have Xcode installed and set the iPad to "Use For Development" from within the Xcode Organizer.

14. maclook macrumors 65816

Oh cool! I may try that later with my iPhone (then on my new iPad on Friday)

15. rkulpajr macrumors member

rkulpajr

I have been running 4.3 for about a month now and have not noticed a whole lot of differences between 4.2 and 4.3. Home sharing is really nice, especially when you have a large library.

Also the multi-touch gestures are nice. However, they are only available if you use your iPad for development like stated earlier.

16. farmermac macrumors 6502a

I got my iPad with gestures enabled from the guy that sold it to me. Tis is my first ipad. I wanted to restore and sync my stuff so I lost the gestures and I really missed them. Turns out you don't need a dev account to turn them on. I installed Xcode and started it up. The iPad shows up and you click the "use for development" button. It will ask for credentials but you can x out of Xcode at that point. The gestures get turned on without needing to sign in.

17. rkulpajr macrumors member

rkulpajr

That;s great to know. I will have to share that with some of my friends who did not want to set their iPad to my developers account.

18. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Great news! I'll try it later today. Can I use the current Xcode or do I need Xcode 4?