Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FatGuy007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2012
New York
Websites like The Verge, Facebook, or other long scroll websites have been extremely sluggish on my 15in MBPr, is it just the browser itself? Also text disappears and reappears on Facebook chat and start mixing up alot.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
What browser, I have both the 13rmp and 15rmbp with no issues.

The verge does hang a bit on the ipad, but it always has, luckily I don't use it much due to their crappy web site design.

angrydog

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2009
MBPr owner here, what lag are these folks talking about?! I'm not saying their lying about lagging issues but I think this forum scares potential MBPr buyers away. On another note, I've had the LG screen since July and no IR problems here. I swear some people on these forums expect too much.

I do agree about the fact that 98% of the internet isn't "Retina" optimized.

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
There's nothing you can do if you already use Safari 6 and have made the 2.0 graphics update.

Yes, there is.

To OP: go grab a copy of Webkit's nightly here:

http://nightly.webkit.org

And use that in Safari's stead for a while. It fixes scroll lag for The Verge.

I don't use Facebook so I have no idea what effect it has on the website, but I'd think... it should improve a little bit.

If you still see lag with Webkit nightly, then that's when you can say "there's nothing" you can do about it.

sno1man

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2011
With Software Update. The 13" rMBP can't have it though, it's already updated.

No, it's not. Apple pulled the update for the 13 retina and the new minis for reasons known only to Apple. If you check the mini board there is lots of discussion.

If you go to Apples boards there are multiple threads on this as well. Posters there are saying that support reps have told them that Apple will repost the updates next week.

In the very short term, the best way to minimize it is to NOT zoom the text either by the double tap method or command +

last but not least this lag issue affects most macs using safari 6 to a greater or lesser degree. RMBP users have gotten so paranoid about any possible flaw with their baby so they are most sensitive to it.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Yes, there is.

To OP: go grab a copy of Webkit's nightly here:

http://nightly.webkit.org

And use that in Safari's stead for a while. It fixes scroll lag for The Verge.

I don't use Facebook so I have no idea what effect it has on the website, but I'd think... it should improve a little bit.

If you still see lag with Webkit nightly, then that's when you can say "there's nothing" you can do about it.

Wow, you're right. The Webkit nightly build has no lag at all. Good to know Safari will probably eventually be lag-free like that. Since this is not a final build I may encounter crashes/bugs but it's so smooth I just decided to use it as my main browser.

AirThis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
Wow, you're right. The Webkit nightly build has no lag at all. Good to know Safari will probably eventually be lag-free like that. Since this is not a final build I may encounter crashes/bugs but it's so smooth I just decided to use it as my main browser.

Some versions of the webkit cause a very noticeable (and measurable) drop in frame rate for non-browser activity. It fixes the lag in the browser, but when you exit and run a benchmark (like unigine) the framerate has dropped drastically. I posted this in another thread:

WebKit r135516 slows down the framerate under OSX. I've been able to reproduce this about 15 times in a row.

Method to test:

1. Reboot computer, running only the necessary software.
2. Switch to discrete graphics with gfxcardstatus.
2. Run the Unigine benchmark and get the average FPS. For me it's usually 28 - 29 FPS @ 1680 x 1050 (hidpi).
3. Exit Unigine.
4. Open Safari with Webkit r135516 and browse around a bit. The Verge seems to pull things into slow mode.
5. Exit Safari.
6. Run Unigine benchmark again. The result for me will be anywhere between 18 and 23 FPS @ 1680 x 1050.

To get things back to normal, it is not necessary to reset the SMC. All you need to do is log out and start a new session (or reboot). If I stay away from the Webkit, each time I run the Unigine benchmark I get the same result of 28-29 FPS.

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011

It has layout bugs with websites like The Verge, TechCrunch, etc... which use Javascript to render their overlay menu bar, but... if you don't zoom in, you'll be fine.

Jedi Quan

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2012
Orange County, Ca
New 13 rMBP owner here. I only get lags when using Facebook (this is on any browser). With Chrome, it's not so bad.. but on Safari, everything is as smooth as can be (again with the exception of Facebook). Even The Verge works fine with Safari. I've always used Chrome in the past, but for now if you have a rMBP.. Safari is the best option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.