Any Folio type case reviews?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by jhearty99, Jul 6, 2017.

1. jhearty99 macrumors 6502

jhearty99

As the title states. The thread pinned to the top is mostly filled with smart cover type cases. I saw one thread on the UAG Folio case. Anyone else find any folio type cases for the 10.5" they are using and have pics/reviews of?

2. pigglywoobwoob macrumors newbie

It seems like most of the folio style cases haven't been released yet (i've been on the hunt myself). I'd say ask again the first week of August when they start shipping.

3. David58117 macrumors 65816

I have the targus folio one Best Buy sells.

I have the 12.9, and didn't think I would like the case, but it's actually pretty nice. It allows switching from portrait to landscape, and the only time I've needed to do it was when I was using it with duet display with my MacBook and needed it connected on the right side.

It holds the pencil on the back, which is nice and secure. My only gripe is if I'm using it on a piano stand, if I fold the front flap behind the iPad, the iPad becomes angled. I seem to have to take out the pencil and fold the case open like a book, which seems to work.

4. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

5. jhearty99 thread starter macrumors 6502

jhearty99

6. baconcow macrumors member

baconcow

I haven't seen this in Canada, yet, but Targus Canada says they sell it (their "where to buy" page is "coming soon"). Wish I could find it in-store, so I could see one.

7. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

8. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

I have the Modal folio case from Best Buy. The most important thing for me was how sturdy the case was when in stand mode, since much of my iPad use is at my desk with the Apple Magic Bluetooth keyboard. When in stand mode with the cover folded into a triangle, the Modal case is super sturdy, and it doesn't fall over no matter how hard you tap the screen. What's interesting is that pictures on the Best Buy website show the case mostly in stand mode with the front cover flat on the desk -- this is another way you can use the case in stand mode, and while this mode allows more adjustment of the angle, it is not nearly as sturdy. I always use it in the other mode.

As for protection, this case is not going to protect very well in a drop since it basically only holds the iPad by the 4 corners. However, it will cover both the back and the screen when transporting the iPad, and the fit and cutouts are all perfect. I also like how the cover is reversible, meaning depending on how you fold it, you can adjust it so that the part of the cover that touches the desk when in stand mode is NOT the part that touches the screen when closed -- something that I really like.

I will also mention that this case does NOT have a magnet that causes the iPad to sleep/wake when opened and closed. However, it DOES have a magnet that holds the front cover in place when folded around the back of the iPad when using it so it does not flop around.

9. jhearty99 thread starter macrumors 6502

jhearty99

Thank you for the review. I had looked at that case on BestBuy.com