Any Ford / Lincoln / Mercury Fans Here?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by pimentoLoaf, Feb 20, 2009.

1. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

2. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

When the Ford Escape first came out I was very, very interested in getting one... but then I got laid off and a new car was suddenly not a priority.

In the intervening years I have taken a short lease on a Toyota RAV4 and am now driving a Matrix. I still envy the small-ute form factor, but I'm not sure if I can really justify the extra expense. Should I reconsider, a used Escape is still on my "check it out" list.

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

2003 Ford Expedition. Best vehicle I've ever owned. Dark blue with beige interior.

It's an absolute joy to drive, it turns on a dime. Turns a tighter circle and is easier to park than my wife's Nissan Altima.

4. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

I mostly like European cars, but I do like a few Ford/Mercury models. As strange as it is I have a big soft spot for the Mercury Topaz since it was the first car that I remember ever being in. I'm also a fan of the 1980's Fox Body Mustang's. Not particular to Ford/Lincoln/Mercury, but most of the current cars look to chrome-y and chunky/plasticky. Yech. :apple:

5. dr.devious macrumors regular

dr.devious

6. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

I'm not a big fan of Ford but I must admit I sure love the Edge.
    [​IMG]

7. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

And you might be the only one... I have nothing against F/L/M, but there's nothing that they have now that peaks my interest.

8. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Yeah they don't have anything to great on the table to offer at the moment. I really liked the LS when it was out and I always thought the Navigator had a good interior but was too much like a ford on the outside.

I'm sorry Ford but this is what you come up with to save yourself? This has to be one of the ugliest cars since the PT cruiser. It doesn't even look practical- long and low with probably poor visibility.
    [​IMG]

9. daustin macrumors member

I'm a Ford person. I had a 2000 Mustang and loved it. I never had any trouble with it and it was a joy to drive (except in the winter :rolleyes:). Now I have a 2006 Fusion and love it. It's a great car, but I wish I could afford a new 2010 model. Of course, I've been out of a job since October so that's not a real high priority....

10. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

I have a white 2005 Ford Explorer Limited, and I love it. Great car to own, the only thing I don't like is the gas mileage but I deal with it. Only about 14MPG city. Still, it provides me with a lot of utility that I need so it is worth it.

Steve

11. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

I have a 1985 Mustang SVO, very, very modified.

1985 F-250 SuperCab 4x4 diesel

1986 Merkur XR4Ti (Sierra in Europe)

The pickup will be given to a friend this summer.

The XR4Ti will be sacrificing it's engine so I can build it for the SVO. My goal is over 400HP, 300 just isn't enough. :D

12. MultiM macrumors 6502

MultiM

The Flex may be ugly, but it's VERY practical. It's comfortable and very roomy and the view from inside is excellent. Try it out before judging...

I had a '96 Explorer for 12 years and just bought an '07 Eddie Bauer. Couldn't be happier...

13. thefnshow macrumors regular

1998 ford expedition eddie bauer editon...green with tan interior...truck is awsome,the turning radius mentioned is true...truck has come in handy on a few occasions. bought in august 2001 with 18,216 miles on it an currently at about 95,500

14. Crawn2003 macrumors 6502

I have a 2008 Ford Escape XLT. It's my company car but I also get to use it for personal use too. It's a really great SUV in my opinion. I've had very little problems but those were covered by Ford.

[​IMG]

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think the Edge is one of the prettiest small SUVs on the market. But I also think it highlights a challenge for Ford. Ford has pretty good hybrid technology now. They received a lot of points for the hybrid Escape, and it even became a celebrity vehicle to some extent (e.g. the fact that Obama drives one has been much ballyhooed). And the hybrid Fusion looks excellent.

A hybrid Edge would have had an excellent halo effect for them and pulled the halo away from the hybrid Escape. The latter, while excellent, has the problem that it still casts back visually and technologically to where Ford's SUVs were in the 1990s and not the consistent brand image that J. Mays worked so hard to create.

Ford has been strong before. I don't think Alan Mullally is the right leader for the company, although he isn't as bad as Bill Ford was. I give them credit that they can come back. J. Mays is excellent. The engineering staff has done a good job numerous times (with the original Focus and more particularly the global C-seg derivatives, the global midsize derivatives, the Edge, and so on).

Right now I'm not sure there's a Ford I'd buy -- the most tempting cars to me in the stable are being rent apart from Ford (the smaller Volvos, the smaller Mazdas) or will not be available in US (the second gen Focus). But I think Ford belongs in the country's future.

16. icotulookin macrumors newbie

Way off topic but MultiM if you get this, you posted 2 pictures in an old thread I found. I have attached them here. I really, REALLY want to find a liquor cabinet like the one you have. http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=59898&d=1160934466 If you could give me a heads up as to where I could find one like that I would really appreciate it. Thank you so much.

17. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

1996 Merc Sable. Got it from an estate sale for a great price. No complaints... well it did smell like Grannys house when I first got it and I keep finding bingo dabbers under the seats:D

18. MultiM macrumors 6502

MultiM

I tried to send you a private message, but alas it didn't work. I bought the bar at a local place in Calgary really cheap because it had no handles. I saw the bar used on an episode of the designer Guys a couple of years ago and checked out their website and found a Toronto store that carries it. They sold me some handles, also inexpensive, and they were shipped directly to me from their supplier in NE US.All told it cost me about $350.00. New and intact, the bar costs about $800-$900. Google "Liquor Cabinets" Something should show up...

19. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I regularly drive my mother's Ford Fiesta, which looks similar to this one:

[​IMG]

It's an okay car. She had a Fiat Grande Punto before and I thought that was a better car, as was the Vauxhall Corsa she had before that.

I don't think it has made me want to buy a Ford in future but the build quality is good on the inside.

20. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

I yanked the engine from my XR4Ti on Sunday. It will be rebuilt and get put in my Mustang

Attached Files:

21. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Where exactly do you have that XR4Ti parked? It looks like some kind of nuclear fallout shelter to me!

22. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

I'm not a fan of any of these auto companies. They have never phased me for some reason.

For instance, if I wanted to spend $40,000 on one of these three choices, I would go with a BMW or something like that.

I think in my opinion I have been stuck with the "labeling". For instance, the new 2010 Buick Lacrosse. Sharp car, but I wouldn't spend my money on it because I have labeled it to be "old" looking cars from previous models made.

I was test driving an '02 Jaguar X-Type. Only 42K on it! The thing sounded, and performed like a weakling. It was tired, and I knew from the sound of it was a Ford engine.

23. NightFlight macrumors 6502

NightFlight

I am a big fan of Ford products but I do not own one. They are by far my favorite American manufacturer.

x2.

I'd like to know where that is parked as well...

24. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

I'm an owner of a 2002 Mercury Sable GS that I bought from my grandfather in early 2006. He had only put 11,000 miles on the car, which I have subsequently increased to about 33,000. I've been taking good care of the car and so far it's been holding up pretty good.

I've had a couple scares with it though, including some minor accidents (none of them my fault). Fortunately, none of them ever caused any structural damage with the car and I've got great insurance and a great body shop man that makes it like new. :D

The thing that I really like about it is how easy it is to drive. It is by no means a fast car, but it's predictable and I feel absolutely in control when I drive it.

25. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Get me one of these, and we'll talk.

Don't need a 427, don't really want to kill myself just yet. A 289 will do me fine.

[​IMG]