Any Forza/Gran Turismo genre recommendations for Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Suture, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

Looking for a game in the veins of Forza Motorsport or Gran Turismo to play on the Mac. Any recommendations? The racing games I've seen mostly aren't my style; I do like the tuning and tweaking aspect, and monster selection of cars that the aforementioned games offer.

2. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Don't think anything like that exists on OS X, but if you're willing to install Windows, Asetto Corsa looks like it would fit your bill.

3. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Though the original GRID game is fairly arcade-style, you can increase the difficulty and settings to take off traction control/increase CPU difficulty and things like that. On the hardest difficulty it really is a test and RWD cars respond fairly synonymously with how you'd expect on Gran Turismo (with TC/ABS/ASC disabled). Plus you have the advantage of damage on GRID so you do get penalised if you're playing bumper cars - one of my absolute peeves was how they removed damage on GT6 splitscreen multiplayer, really ruins the fun/challenge when playing with friends.

Anyway, back to GRID. I honestly really dig the game and it's quite old by computer game standards (though it still looks really nice IMHO), so should run very smoothly on most modern Macs. It's on the MAS though not sure if there's an OS X version on Steam.

4. Suture thread starter macrumors 6502a

Suture

I'll have to take another look at Grid. I remember when it came out I didn't think it would be my style, but the pickings appear to be slim. Thanks.

5. JaguarGod macrumors 6502

JaguarGod

Yeah, Grid and Grid 2 are good games natively on OS X from Feral Interactive. Grid AutoSport is also being released by Feral sometime in the (hopefully) near future.

6. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Grid runs really well on my 2011 MBP so it should be fine on your rMBP and spectacular on your iMac.

7. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

Grid 2 is a pretty bad game, but the first Grid great. Not exactly a simulator, but it "feels like you're racing".

8. JaguarGod macrumors 6502

JaguarGod

Sad thing is that I still enjoy TOCA Race Driver 3 more than Grid or Grid 2. Granted, it doesn't look nearly as good, but it is fantastic. The V8 Supercars, SuperTrucks and even the Monster Trucks are great! The game still runs great in Yosemite and if you have a Logitech wheel with the FFB kext installed it makes it that much better. Still an awesome game.