Any free disk recovery software

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by snerkler, Mar 25, 2017.

1. snerkler macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I have an external drive that had a major meltdown and would like to recover the data from it. I have used a trial recovery software and it has detected all of the files, but I cannot restore them without buying a licence. Are there any free disk recovery apps/software out there that might do the job?

Cheers.

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

3. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

This is like a gunshot victim shopping for the lowest-priced emergency surgeon. There are just going to be times when the vendor has all the leverage.

The thing is, data recovery software ought to be needed infrequently. So even if someone gave it away as a lure to sell something else (an anti-virus subscription, perhaps), it's not likely to capture new, paying customers in large numbers. And even if one built a reputation in the free software movement, helping to fashion a free OS, for example... this is exactly the kind of circumstance that allows one to cash in on that hard-won expertise.

"Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone?"

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

OP:

If the data recovery software you're trying indicates that it can salvage your files, well… ;)

5. snerkler thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replies. Bit the bullet and bought some software in the end. Worked perfectly :)