Any free disk recovery software

snerkler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Hi,

I have an external drive that had a major meltdown and would like to recover the data from it. I have used a trial recovery software and it has detected all of the files, but I cannot restore them without buying a licence. Are there any free disk recovery apps/software out there that might do the job?

Cheers.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
This is like a gunshot victim shopping for the lowest-priced emergency surgeon. There are just going to be times when the vendor has all the leverage.

The thing is, data recovery software ought to be needed infrequently. So even if someone gave it away as a lure to sell something else (an anti-virus subscription, perhaps), it's not likely to capture new, paying customers in large numbers. And even if one built a reputation in the free software movement, helping to fashion a free OS, for example... this is exactly the kind of circumstance that allows one to cash in on that hard-won expertise.

"Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone?"

Reactions: chrfr

Fishrrman

macrumors Core
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

If the data recovery software you're trying indicates that it can salvage your files, well… ;)

Reactions: snerkler

snerkler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Thanks for the replies. Bit the bullet and bought some software in the end. Worked perfectly :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.