Any freelancers using iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by h00ligan, Jul 28, 2011.

1. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Using it for billing, mockups, contacts? How are you using it and what software are you using? I'm not thrilled with a billings iPhone desktop combo. Looking for ways to make life easier!

I posted a more specific version of this in iPad apps, but in hindsight I think this forum will work better.

Thanks for any and all info!

2. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

What type of freelance work do you do?

I do executive consulting and use the iPad pretty extensively for work.

For contracts, I use iWork Pages to update my "boiler plate" contracts (NDA's, Consulting Agreements, etc.). To review and sign contracts, I use Goodreader. I can make small changes and sign/mail completed agreements right at the client's site that way. (It helps to really "zoom-in" in Goodreader to get a clean signature.)

I do invoices in iWork Numbers. I also track various expenses, calls, and other things in Numbers. It's very convenient.

Oh, I use Apple's iWork.com cloud service with both of these to keep all of my documents in the cloud where I can access them from my iPad, iPhone, Laptop, or Desktop. It's easy to share documents in PDF and "MS Office" formats as well as get input on documents from the service.

For mockups, I make block diagrams by cutting / dragging various images from pages of Web UI, iOS UI, and system architecture clipping sheets. I arrange them in Keynote and/or SketchBook Pro.

For client notes I use MediaWiki, so we can collaborate together. I use Wiki Edit (blatant plug) to update the wiki from the iPad. For general notes and quick web clipping, Evernote's App is okay, but still doesn't support editing rich text on the iPad.

I also log into Cloud computing systems with iSSH (great app), and Rackspace Cloud's app.

The only thing I use "old style" computers for anymore is writing code. If Apple ever ports Xcode to the iPad I'll might just sell my Mac. LOL

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I am a freelance graphic designer and illustrator. The iPad makes a great portfolio device and keeps my tasks, appontments and projects all organized (even if I am not lol)...

It's also a great device for painting or illustrating on the go where my Cintiq 21UX would never go.

4. h00ligan thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks for the info.

I actually do three types of freelance. It Direction, hands on networking/repair, and photography.

Numbers to me...well, I need to get a template setup I think for billing. Using pages for invoicing can you tie it into numbers on the iPad? I only have numbers so far...both on the desktop.

Portfolio is one thing I use it for presently.

Thanks for taking the time!..and the ideas. :)

5. roberthodgson macrumors regular

I use quick sale for all my invoicing its a great app and its great to be able to invoice the client right away

6. palpatine macrumors 68040

what a great post, thanks! i am not a freelancer, but it gave me some ideas. would be great if you could tell us more about how you do work with the ipad in this thread or another one.