Any games that can run on my MPB?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Marcobzcs1, Sep 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Marcobzcs1 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, i'm looking for games that my Macbook pro could run, suggest some pls.
    The only game I have as of right now is Call of Duty 4 so ...

Macbook Pro 13" Late 2011

Running El Capitan v10.11.5

Processor:
    2.3 GHz Intel Core i5

RAM:
    4GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Graphics:
    Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Most games will 'run'. But it depends how nicely you want them to run. :D

I'd avoid any vaguely recent FPSs. Framerate drops will make them unplayable and you don't really have a powerful graphics card. Turn based strategy games will be less obvious.

If you haven't already, I'd upgrade the RAM to either 8GB (2x4GB DDR3 1333MHz SODIMM) or 16GB (2x8GB). The increase in the RAM will allocate more VRAM to the integrated graphics card. It won't make a huge difference, but it's something. I'd also swap the HDD for an SSD for quicker loading times and a considerably smoother OS experience across the board. This will maximise games performance on your laptop.

I'd recommend checking out some Mac games on GOG. A lot of them are older ones, but all practically guaranteed to run: https://www.gog.com/games?system=osx_106,osx_107&sort=bestselling&page=1

Also Mac games on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/browse/mac/

If there's anything you feel you're interested in, just post the game here/quote this post and we can advise if it's worth going for.

Best wishes and speak with you soon.

3. TheBigDog macrumors member

TheBigDog

Mac OS is not made for gaming. You need to install Windows if you want to play games.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Just not true the 1-2 FPS increase on the OP's machine will make no real difference.

5. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

The abundance of OS X games would say otherwise. Of course you can play games on a Mac. And if you're serious about gaming, you wouldn't be doing it on a 2011 MacBook Pro with an integrated graphics card, regardless of which operating system you're running.

The OP can run many games on their Mac. Nothing like Fallout 4 of course, but that's to be expected.

6. TheBigDog macrumors member

TheBigDog

You guys are being incredibly disingenuous. The "Many Games" you refer to are mainly small indie titles, it's rare to get a AAA game on OS X. OP you gotta boot camp to play games.

7. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

You're talking about us being disingenuous and yet you're acting like installing Windows will suddenly enable functionality that his laptop literally can't support.

He's got a 2011 MacBook Pro with an integrated graphics card. No AAA game will run on that to a vaguely acceptable level. Your suggestion of "just install Windows" is a knee-jerk reaction at best.

8. TheBigDog macrumors member

TheBigDog

From using a 2009 MBP I can say the difference is night and day. You can't expect to run much on a MBA anyway

9. Paulk macrumors 6502

Paulk

Here are some that I have played on my now quite old Macbook Pro Retina:
    Wesnoth
    Drakensang Online
    UO: Renaissance
    Age of Conquest IV
    League of Legends, I downloaded but never managed to get working. Probably my too slow internet connection.

10. TheBigDog macrumors member

TheBigDog

More about the Ping for LoL. The point still stands that there is a tiny variety of mostly indie games one Mac. You need to install W7-10. I mean just look at the lack of content on the App Store and the Steam Mac section. Until Apple Support DX their OS will not be a viable option.

Plain and Simple.

11. Marcobzcs1, Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016

Marcobzcs1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to everyone for replying :)

I was thinking on buying a SSD and more ram, but for now I think ill get CS:GO, Would it run smoothly in medium-low settings?

12. Shamgar macrumors regular

The Intel HD 3000 is very limited for gaming, but there are older games that will work. Lots of indie games will also manage on it.

Notebookcheck has a list of benchmarks for major games that will give you some examples of what will run and at what settings. Though those numbers are for Windows, and OS X will lose a few frames.

The suggestion to game on Windows will open up a larger selection of games, and the games will perform better, but I wouldn't recommend investing that way unless there are specific games you want that will support your integrated graphics.

What genres are you interested in?

13. Marcobzcs1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I would say FPS, I really don't care if I have to play with low settings.

14. antonis macrumors 68000

antonis

As usual, truth is somewhere in the middle of what is posted above, or - to say it different - everyone has a point. If you care about Blizzard games, for example, you can expect double fps just by switching to windows, no matter the gpu. Other games (engines) will not be so kind with a not-so-recent integrated gpu and will suck no matter what OS you use.

Obviously, the latest the title, the less the chances to work with HD3000. Windows, however, will offer you a (vastly) larger variety of games that will - maybe - run on low settings, while on OS X side will run slower or they will not even exist. So it's your best bet, anyway. However, with a HD3000 it might not worth the windows purchase before upgrading your machine.

15. Marcobzcs1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I might get bootcamp and then play some games on it so the performance might get better.

16. Michael Anthony macrumors regular

With the HD 3000 graphics unfortunately you're going to be really limited. Doubt you'd be able to run CS:GO on it at anything higher than the absolute lowest quality graphics and even then it'd probably struggle.

17. Fosty Suspended

Fosty

Given the age of your machine I don't know that running bootcamp is going to do you much good.

You'd be better sticking to a handful of games that you can be happy with.

Suggestions:

Bioshock 1&2
    Borderlands 1&2
    Doom 3
    Portal 1&2
    Deus Ex HR
    L4D2
    Batman: Arkham Asylum
    Batman: Arkham City
    Guacamelee! (needs a controller)
    Civ V