Any garageband pros out there?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Alienworkshoper, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Alienworkshoper macrumors member

I'm wondering how custom made instruments get saved in the event of a meltdown.

I have all my GB files backed up.. but what about instruments I made with various samples keybound. Some of them are not in a saved GB project, they are just stored some where in garageband.

How do I go about ensuring that I keep all those custom instruments and keybound sounds in the event of a computer meltdown?

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

The same way to save everything else. Start with Time Machine. Let it do it's hourly backups. Then in addition you need to periodically make other backups and move them off site to another building and maybe a fire safe. But your first step is Time machine.

You are not just worried about a computer failure. Theft of the equipment is one of the most common causes of data loss, then fires and floods and lightening hitting the power pole down the street. Time machine will not help you with any of that, you need a copy or two kept far away

3. Alienworkshoper thread starter macrumors member

That's not what I'm asking, I know how to back up all my garageband files.

I have multiple custom instruments in the "sound effects" section. They work on any garageband project on my computer.

But if I open the same saved garageband project on another computer, I can not access those custom instruments.

Where are custom instruments saved?