Any German speakers out there?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by fried-gold, Dec 23, 2011.

1. fried-gold macrumors member

I just got a job interview in Berlin via e-mail, I need a little help with some translating, I'd like to respond to the e-mail with something like -

Dear Mr x

Thank you for getting back to me, and for the opportunity to meet with you. I am available to meet with on blah blah blah.

I look forward to meeting you on

Regards,

(My name)

This is what I have:

Liebe Mr x

Vielen Dank für das Erhalten zurück zu mir, und für die Gelegenheit mit Ihnen zu treffen.

Ich freue mich schon Sie am Freitag den bläh blah zu treffen.

Grüße

(My name)

Is this OK? Any tips?

TIA!

----------

also what is the the etiquette in addressing the person - although he has signed with a full name should I address with Herr XX or just write out the full name?

2. ergdegdeg, Dec 23, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2011

ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

How formal is this supposed to be?

I'd probably recommend something like this:

Sehr geehrter Herr X,

vielen Dank für ihre Antwort und die Gelegenheit, Sie kennen zu lernen. Ich stehe am XX für ein Treffen zur Verfügung.

Ich freue mich schon, Sie am XX zu treffen.

Mit freundlichen/den besten Grüßen,

(your name)​

3. fried-gold thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply, the way you have phrased it is much better! Not entirely sure how formal it should be, the invitation itself was fairly casual.

----------

Email sent, many thanks ergdegdeg.

Regards,

Andy

4. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

if you cant handle this ... your chances in berlin are 0 (nil)

5. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

acidfast I dissagree. bitte, enshulegung.... Straße... thats what I picked up in my month in germany.

The reason why? Everyone speaks english! 9/10 people I would encounter would speak english. The 1/10 that couldn't would know enough to help.
    The awesome part about germans is they always say "sorry my english is not so good" and they speak better than me!

6. alflavor macrumors regular

If you can't speak German then don't reply in German - the receiver will be very disappointed when they find out you can't speak a word!

7. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

i like the language, i think the only time i even attempt it is when i have been drinking and have Rammstein up rather loud :) LoL

8. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

sure, but in the workplace, Germans really want to speak german. Science is the one lone hold out with unis and phrama companies operating in English mostly.

but, a standard position will be almost all in German, unless it's specifically tailored for english (e.g. label writing in English) then it would be English in some documents but german where all of the action goes down (the espresso bar/machine).

9. wpotere Guest

Having lived there and having a lot of German friends, a reply in German would be very nice and it should be formal. Never make an informal response to a German unless they tell you it is OK. Use "Sie" and not "du" unless told, it is the proper and cultural thing to do. Responding in German is also usually appreciated by them even if they speak English and they will not be disappointed, actually it is the opposite. I can't tell you the number of times I have seen Americans get poor service because the first words are "do you speak English". Make the attempt and it will look like you are trying to fit in and they will go the extra kilometer. They will switch to English if they feel it will work better in the conversation but never assume that they will. Learn and speak the language of the country you are in.

I love how some people feel that everyone should speak English even in their own country. :rolleyes:

Last bit of help, the translators on-line will not work for proper grammar, so don't use them. They are great for quick bits, but that is about it.

ergdegdeg, had a nice response and that is one that I would go with. Germans are very professional and will appreciate a formal response.