Any get Lion at the Apple Store Yet?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sclawis300, Jul 21, 2011.

1. sclawis300 macrumors 65816

Has anyone actually gone to an Apple Store and gotten Lion there? I was wondering if you are getting if from their server, and not actually from the MAS would that get you around having to buy SL.

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

How would you "get" Lion at the Apple Store? You'd still have to buy it from the MAS which is only available on SL.

3. sclawis300 thread starter macrumors 65816

Did you read any of the articles that said it would be cached on some mac pros at Apple Stores? I am simply trying to find out if this is true.

4. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I think you are both at least partially right. I have also heard you can "get" Lion at the Apple store, either as some sort of locally cached download for those DSL users out there, or on a USB stick.

The problem for now is that there was a migration assistant update to go from SL to Lion but I checked on my only remaining Leopard machine yesterday and there was no migration assistant update for Leopard. This means that for now, going to Lion is a 2 step process. I'm sure Apple will solve this, possibly by the time they offer USB sticks in the Apple Store. One possibility would be to allow Leopard users to pay for Lion in iTunes and then pick it up on a USB stick. I think the more likely scenario is for the Mac App Store to get back ported to Leopard. Apple has reason to do this to grow app sales and I'm sure they could release a Leopard app store and still disable sale of Lion on any non-Intel machine.

5. sclawis300 thread starter macrumors 65816

Well the USB stick is priced to make you want to pirate a copy of SL, which I will not do. Plus that will not be available until August. I hear what you are saying about the migration assist, but I will just be doing a clean install so I don't really care about migration assistant.

6. sclawis300 thread starter macrumors 65816

ugh, why must apple make it so tempting to steal????

7. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

This is something I've thought about for a long time. Do you really want Apple to become like M$ where you spend hours typing in key numbers, keeping up with little scraps of paper and spending time in a hold queue just to prove you didn't steal something? I'm assuming your answer is no. If that is the case, read the EULA and abide by it. The "temptation to steal" is not irresistible. When you study the EULA, you realize that instead of being asked to buy the "Family Pack" for $129 (which also had no DRM), you are only required to pay one time for Lion and you are granted the license to install it on any computer you own "or control". This means the family pack price for Lion is $29. Nice.

Besides, I don't think Lion (or Snow Leopard) are where Apple expects to make a ton of money. I think they are banking on the OS X app store growing up to be more like it's older sibling: the iOS app store. I would think Lion revenue is used mainly to cover the increased support load helping upgraders who run into trouble. I'm pretty sure Apple gets a 30% cut of OS X app store revenue.

Apple just came of yet another record setting quarter. Surely this means that by "trusting us" Apple is doing something right. Based on their current success and excellent rapport with customers, I don't expect Apple to start saddling us with DRM and CD key numbers any time soon.

8. sclawis300 thread starter macrumors 65816

I hear you loud and clear, and your assumption is correct. One fear of upgrading is for my windows virtual machine, which I no longer have any codes for. I would have thought that they could have easily put SL on clearance or something and made it like 15-20. I just wish my Best Buy rewards card would come in the mail already so I could just use that to buy SL and then use my existing credits in itunes to get Lion.