Any Gevey Ultra S users?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Sunsean, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Sunsean macrumors 6502

Couple questions for any of you who use the Gevey Ultra S to unlock a CDMA iphone for GSM use. I'm doing this now on a Verizon iphone and Straight Talk service, works great. So, questions:

1. The gevey ultra s requires jailbreak to activate...what happens if i lose the jailbreak or remove it? Will the ultra s stop working?

2. What happens when ios 6 drops later this year? Do you think Gevey will update the current sims to work with it? And obviously we'd have to wait until ios 6 gets jailbroken too...in your opinions, how long of a delay do you think it would be before people using this method of unlock would be able to update to ios 6?

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

A jailbreak is not required to use a Gevey sim interposer.
    Of course Gevey will try to make an iOS6 compatible sim interposer, beyond that, no one can possibly answer this question.

3. Sunsean thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. Actually, with the gevey I'm using (gevey ultra s) a jailbreak is required. You have to install the app FuriousMod4s from Cydia to complete the jailbreak (this is jailbreaking a CDMA phone for GSM use).

Re: ios 6, I figured they would try to figure something out, I guess I was just more curious whether a) it would be possible/theoretical for the current sims to work on ios 6 and b) what kind of time frame it might be before they get it working...obviously no one knows for sure, but this is macRUMORS after all, just thought I'd ask for educated guesses.

4. youngunner-2 macrumors newbie

Actually, with the multi-network gevey ultra S you must jailbreak the device if you are going to use it on a CDMA iphone 4S.

If you lose the jailbreak, yes your unlock will be deactivated. I would not recommend updating it until there is another jailbreak/unlock for your device.

I am currently trying to unlock my Sprint 4S with the gevey ultra S and am running into a ton of problems. Would you mind posting your exact method used to unlock yours? Did you delete any carrier bundles, or do anything other than what Applenberry has on their site?

5. Sunsean thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi, well I guess I got lucky. I didn't even realize at first that I had bought a CDMA phone. I wasn't aware of the new gevey ultra s, and the guy I bought it from said he'd been using it on T-Mobile so I figured it was an unlocked GSM iphone 4s. Anyway, I get home and when I try to put my straight talk sim in, I realize what's going on.

Long story short, I essentially just followed the instructions on their site. Luckily for me, the phone was already jailbroken and had the FuriousMod app installed, so I just had to try a few times for it to take. Essentially I did this: 1)turn phone off; 2)insert your sim on top of gevey ultra sim; 3) turn phone on; 4) wait for pop-up saying that the phone was successfully unlocked, copy unlock code from pop-up; 5) run the FuriousMod app; 6) let it sit for a while until service is connected.

I had trouble the first day trying to get it to work, too. I think I just wasn't being patient enough. I would only give it a minute of searching for signal before getting frustrated and starting over. But really, you gotta let it sit for a while, like give it 15 minutes at least. For me, it was a repeating cycle of the pop-up showing up, hitting okay, and waiting for signal to connect. The pop-up came up like 3 or 4 times before service actually connected. Once it connected and starting working, it's been consistent. Been about a week now.

6. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

A jailbreak is only required if you want to use FuriousMod4s

I previously used the Gevey Ultra S on my GSM iPhone4S without installing FuriousMod4s and it worked as designed.

7. Sunsean thread starter macrumors 6502

Right, well we are using the gevey ultra to unlock CDMA iphones, so a jailbreak is required. Better for you though, for sure.

8. youngunner-2 macrumors newbie

And that is exactly what i have been trying. If you open cydia and go to the manage tab at the bottom, and then click packages, do you notice any other repo's other than furiousmod? Maybe like http:// v.backspace.jp/repo or www.iglive.com?

Whenever you reboot and insert your SIM, does it take you to the activation screen and act like it needs to be activated?

Here is exactly what mine will do:

I will install furiousmod for CDMA, then i will close out of cydia and turn the phone off. Place my AT&T SIM into the tray with the gevey and then power back on. At first it will act normal and i get the "searching" in the carrier spot. Then it will pop up and say that i am unlocked and give me the code. I write that down and click accept. Then it says "searching" again and then an Apple logo pops up and then it does this "explosion" thing with bright lights around which im assuming is part of the gevey process. Then whenever the screen comes back up it says "This iPhone is not activated" and wants me to slide to activate, kindof like if i restored the iphone to original factory settings. It will shows that i have full service and a 4G connection, but it just stays at the activation screen. When i try to go through the activation process it says the SIM is invalid and to install the SIM that came with the iPhone. I have let it sit for up to 15 minutes without touching it and nothing more has happened. I've tried with a gevey ultra S, R-SIM III gold and R-SIM III black. I tried installing the commcenter patch, as well as the Network package from iglive. When i do the voicememo trick my full service bars drop down to 1 and the 4G symbol is gone and it says i have no network connection.

Are there any settings that you have set on the iPhone in the network tab in the settings menu? Or possibly in the phone menu?

To the guy with the pineapple avatar - That is the difference between the GSM Gevey and the Multi-Network Gevey for CDMA. If you are unlocking a GSM 4S you DO NOT NEED to jailbreak your device, but for users with CDMA iPhone 4S' you MUST JAILBREAK your device.

Please go to Applenberry.com and do your homework on the CDMA unlock, that's what this thread is about.

9. GK1 macrumors newbie

GK1

If You Must Have The Unlock...Gevey is likely the only Game in town.

Having been an active jailbreako-phile since the original iPhone debut,
    I suggest:

It should likely be an easy and trouble free process to unlock your CDMA 4S if you purchase the proper (cdma) gevey S from applenberry online,
    In the short term, You will be with a State of the Art greatest iphone that can bennefit from the CYDIA Store tweaks and enjoy the best of both worlds on any carrier of your choice around the world.

However It Will require a forward looking sacrifice in the form either:
    The Maintenance to Restore it back to apple specks when 6.0 is released-
    Which is relatively easy and strait forward but will require the forfeiture of any familiarizations you have become accustomed to through Cydia
    or-
    The very likely months or longer wait for an up to date Jailbreak to be released before your phone can be re-updated to the newest apple, iTunes and the App store compatibility. There is a chance that you will fall "behind" if the JB community is not quickly able to respond to iOS 6.0.
    In which case you chose to stay married to your phone till death do you part and forgo all future improvements but remain unlocked and happy with whatever apps and hacks you get in the near future before 6.0, and be restricted to hack community discoveries outside the Apple approved world.

Not a bad Life for a worse case scenario.

Alternative,
    Use your Gevey and enjoy world wide providers on your phone...for now
    And When Six.0 comes out: Restore to iTunes and write off the Gevey cost against the probable huge savings and convenience that the unlock provided.
    This is worth it in and of itself, with very little risk, lots of benefit, especially if you only have an interest in the Unlock and not much in the CYDIA store.

Either Way...MAKE SURE YOU:
    back YOUR iPHONE on iTunes accordingly,,,
    and Never update iTunes after the JB unless the iDev Community unanimously agrees that it is safe for you on your Base band iOS.

10. Sunsean thread starter macrumors 6502

Honestly, I don't know...I didn't have to do any of that with the iglive stuff...I think I may have gotten lucky because the guy before me was already using the gevey ultra s, so maybe he already had something pre-configured that made it work for me...but all I did was the above steps. Like I said, I didn't even have to jailbreak it myself, it was already jailbroken with the furiousmod installed.

11. andyx3x, Jun 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012

andyx3x macrumors 65816

I bought an AT&T iPhone 4S Friday with the intention of getting it activated on T-Mobile. I went to a local wireless store and had them unlock and jailbreak the phone using the Gevey Ultra S.

The guy at the store told me not to restore the phone or upgrade the software or it would cause me to lose the unlock. I understand that.

My question is, with my warranty still good for about 9 months, what happens if something goes wrong with my phone and I need to get a warranty replacement? If I restore it, I know I will lose the unlock and jailbreak but will it restore everything to factory settings so that I can go in and get the phone replaced.

I have heard that having your phone unlocked is against Apple's TOC and that once it is unlocked, you can't hide the fact that is has been. So that would void the TOC, right? Or does a restore wipe out all history of the unlocking and jailbreak?

Thanks for any assistance.

After reading through this thread some more, I have a few more questions. I'm a newb about all this jailbreaking and unlocking stuff so I'm sorry if I'm asking any stupid questions.

1) I got rid of a Verizon 4S to get an AT&T 4S. I was under the impression that I had to do this to get it working on T-Mobile. From looking at this thread, this isn't true. Correct?

2) I know the GSM iPhone doesn't have to be jailbroken to work on T-Mobile, but after I got the Gevey Ultra S sim in and service activated with T-Mobile. the clerk as T-Mobile told me to go back to the wireless store and have adjust the APN settings. I left my phone with them about 30 minutes and came back and got it and noticed that they had jailbroken the phone. Maybe they had to do this to adjust the APN settings, I'm not sure.

3) I saw that someone mentioned earlier that I shouldn't update to any new version of iTunes so I won't. Just curious, why is this?

4) Let's say that I have to reset my iPhone for some reason and I restore through the phone with iCloud, not iTunes. Would this screw up my unlock/jailbreak?

5) My original question. Does a complete restore to factory settings via iTunes completely wipe out all traces of the unlock/jailbreak so that I could get a warranty replacement if needed? I have heard that once you unlock your phone, there is no way to hide it from Apple if you have to take it in.

12. Demonface macrumors 6502a

1. You are correct this could work on sprint verizon and att
    2.ok?
    3.im not sure i think you could update it but im not 100% on this
    4. no it shouldnt but it would be easier to do it though the computer .
    5.yes a complete restore to factory settings does get rid of all traces.

13. mreJ macrumors newbie

Will the Gevey Ultra unlock iOS 5.1.1 / baseband 4.12.01?

Glad to see there are a bunch of response and this is a fairly new topic.

Can anyone help me out with this question of mine?

I just got my Gevey Ultra (not the S - mine is only for iPhone 4 GSM) ... anyhow I got my SIM but the paperwork makes me believe that it will not correctly unlock my iphone4 because I am using iOS 5.1.1 and on baseband 4.12.01

I called their tech support before ordering and the half ass employee said that it would work for my case but it sounded like he didnt care he just said "Yes"

Can anyone confirm if the Gevey Ultra SIM will unlock iOS 5.1.1 baseband 4.12.01? I dont want to try it and brick this brand new phone!!!!

14. charlestonjeff macrumors newbie

Verizon on straight talk

I have the exact situation as you, regarding buying a phone that already had ultra s, jailbroken, furious mod, ect. Also I have verizon 4s. I also want straight talk, besides what you mentioned above, did you have to edit the APN settings or do anything extra to get data, mms, to work? If so, what, in detail did you have to do. I would appreciate your help.

15. Smcontr macrumors newbie

Did you activate the SIM card before unlocking the phone and doing the whole gevey process?
    Is it still working good for you ?
    & can you send MMS messages ?

16. etauqeer macrumors newbie

Is it safe to jailbreak an auto gevey ios 8.1.3

Hi there..i hv auto gevey iphone 4s using ios 8.1.3..it is not jailbreaked...bt i want to jailbreak it for cydia tweeks..so it is safe to jailbreak...can any1 tel me that if i jailbreak it,would it revert my unlockng wich i hd done thru gevey ultra s??

17. Syndicate0017 macrumors 6502

Thread is over two years old. You would be better off starting your own thread. You can't jailbreak 8.1.3 anyway so your worry isn't really relevant right now. However, I do believe you CAN jailbreak when you have a gevey. You just can't update your OS or you will lose the unlock. You'll need to remain on 8.1.3 and hope it becomes jail breakable down the road.