Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

furby3

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 6, 2010
Instapaper used to be my favorite iPhone app. It allows you to save webpages for reading later offline. It optimized text for the iPhone, and included tilt scrolling and page flipping. The very best feature was the ability to set up RSS feeds from my favorite news sites. I could just tap the update button and load dozen of articles from The Daliy Beast, Slate, The Economist, Wired, CNET, etc. all nicely organized in individual folders.

Unfortunately, Marco Arment the creator of Instapaper removed RSS feeds.
He wrote in his blog:

I’ve decided to phase out the rarely-used RSS-folder feature. In 3.0, it’s no longer possible to create new RSS folders, and existing RSS folders will stop being updated soon.

This results in much faster updates and downloads, far less space usage on your iPhone and iPad, and much less bandwidth usage over your 3G connections. I previously had a handful of RSS folders on my account, but I never used them — and my updates absolutely fly without them now.

I used this feature all the time and judging by the comments in the app store so did a lot of others. Updates took a while but not nearly as long as saving each article manually. Additionally all of my articles are dumped into one folder called Read Later.

I'm looking for an alternative to Instapaper. Are there any apps out there that do what Instapaper used to do with the RSS feeds and reading offline?

Last edited:

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Only true alternative is Read It Later Pro, which has ability to publish to Google Reader. I have tried the free version and Instapaper just parses pages better for me. And the creator of Instapaper promised a major update in time for iOS 5, so I remain optimistic about Instapaper's future.

russell1256

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
This was my problem exactly!! What I did was use Instapaper just for reading web pages later and switched ALL of my RSS's over to Byline. It's a much better solution. I set up my feeds by folder and they are all loaded up for offline reading with a free Google reader account. if you want some tips, message me and I will pass them along.

furby3

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 6, 2010
OfflineReader

I found OfflineReader. There is a free version that you can play with. It supports RSS feeds for offline reading. You can only subscribe to one feed with the free version. For $2.99 you can upgrade to the pro version and add as many feeds as you wish. It gives you the option to download images or not. It works pretty good although I wish there was a way to limit the number of articles it downloads from a site. On one it downloaded 85 articles!

I wish it had Tilt Scrolling and Page-Flipping like Instapaper.

nutmac, I hope Instapaper adds RSS feeds back into a later version. I also read iOS5 will include an Instapaper like Reader feature, although it's not clear if it will have RSS feeds and caching for offline reading.

furby3

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 6, 2010
This was my problem exactly!! What I did was use Instapaper just for reading web pages later and switched ALL of my RSS's over to Byline. It's a much better solution. I set up my feeds by folder and they are all loaded up for offline reading with a free Google reader account. if you want some tips, message me and I will pass them along.

Thanks for the heads up on Byline. I downloaded the free version. I will contact you for tips.

furby3

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 6, 2010
Only true alternative is Read It Later Pro, which has ability to publish to Google Reader. I have tried the free version and Instapaper just parses pages better for me. And the creator of Instapaper promised a major update in time for iOS 5, so I remain optimistic about Instapaper's future.

Does Read It Later Pro support RSS feeds?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.