Any good alternatives to time machine?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by applelover4u, Jul 28, 2015.

1. applelover4u macrumors 6502

Anybody uses any alternative to time machine to make and keep backups consitant?

2. iceman42 macrumors regular

carbon copy cloner or super duper are good.

3. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

Using one of these periodically, in addition to Time Machine, makes for an excellent backup strategy.
    SuperDuper! let's you set up scheduled backups, e.g. every Sunday night at 3am, not sure about Carbon Copy Cloner.

4. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I will second Carbon Copy Cloner. Good program that allows you to clone your drive and is bootable. Can set your own scheduling as well. Well worth the money and is often recommend here on the boards.

5. RUGERMAN macrumors regular

I use both, works great.

6. mic j macrumors 68030

I would definitely suggest either CCC or SD. Also, IMO, TM makes a good immediate recover method (like for accidentally deleted files/apps or some other sort of corruption that just occurred which can be removed by going to an earlier state), but it makes a lousy full re-install method, just too slow.

7. mic j macrumors 68030

Can SD do this for a NAS? That would be great news as I monthly plug in my portable HDD into my mac and do a Smart Update. Would love to have that automated.

8. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Check out Data Backup by Prosoft. It can do clones, like Super Duper or Carbon Copy Cloner, or do versioned backups, like Time Machine. And synchs and simple copies. And it has scheduling capabilities. I'm not sure there is something that upon mounting an external it would trigger a backup, although perhaps an automator script. It will backup to NAS, and will supposedly mount the volumes, although I haven't tried that.

9. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22