Any good analog to thunderbolt and/or usb3.0 devices available yet?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Inhalant, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Inhalant, Mar 12, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2014

Inhalant macrumors member

Inhalant

I currently own a m-audio pro external sound card that I was using on my pc to record. After endless latency and driver problems, I went to mac. Logic Pro + usb 3.0 ports don't work well with older devices that support usb2.0...

So here we are.

Help?

edit: Forgot to add the fact that I don't wanna drop massive amounts of cash on one of these...

2. Sackvillenb macrumors 6502a

Sackvillenb

well, in general you should not have any trouble with most external audio interfaces, regardless if it's usb 2 to 3... Have you had trouble with any models other than your primary interface? There are lots of "cheap" interfaces you can buy. If you want a cheap but good quality interface that DOES work on usb 3 (for me at least), I'd suggest a mackie blackjack (I don't know how many channels you need though). I've also been using focusrite products with usb 3 and no issues...

3. Inhalant thread starter macrumors member

Inhalant

Yeah, that's what I thought, but for one reason or another the 2.0 drivers don't translate well with the 3.0, and it's probably best to get a usb 3.0 device anyways. Do you have any recommendations for 3.0 machines? I just need a stereo setup.

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

The reason we don't see USB3 audio is because USB2 has enough bandwidth for well over 4 or 6 tracks of audio. USB3 is not needed. But there are many Firewire audio interfaces out there and the FW to Thunderbolt dongle cable is $29.

You should not be needing third party drivers. If you need to install a driver to use your USB2 interface then that is the problem. Get a class compliant USB2 interface and it can work with Apple's built-in USB audio driver.

5. Inhalant thread starter macrumors member

Inhalant

No, the USB 2.0 device is recognized, and there's an audio signal in the general settings. It just won't let me record in Logic Pro, or GarageBand as a matter of fact. I'll try FireWire, thanks for telling me. I suppose I never thought of a fw to tb.

Thanks

6. Fishrrman macrumors G3

My opinion (and mine only) is that if you have a choice to use either firewire or USB for your interface, that firewire is the better choice.

Particularly where the issue of "drivers" is concerned. Almost every firewire interface out there is now "CORE audio compliant", meaning that no drivers are required at all (because the CORE audio drivers are built into the Mac OS).

I believe at least some USB2 interfaces are "CORE audio compliant" with the Mac now, as well.

But I still believe firewire "is the better way"...

7. Inhalant thread starter macrumors member

Inhalant

Awesome, thanks! I'll probably fish around in the local audio stores, see what I can find.

8. BigRed1 macrumors 6502

Remember that not all firewire devices will work with the thunderbolt dongle. I don't think that the MOTU 8pre, for instance, will work with that configuration.

9. genshi macrumors 6502a

genshi

Luckily MOTU makes a Thunderbolt interface with 28 Inputs (8 of which are analog) and 30 Outputs: http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/828x

I'm about to get it since I can no longer use my M-Audio Projectmix I/O on my new iMac (M-Audio, since they are technically not the same company as they once were, will not be updating the drivers to any of their previous Firewire devices and none of those M-Audio Firewire devices works with Mavericks, and the Projectmix apparently doesn't work with a Firewire to Thunderbolt dongle even if there was an updated Mavericks driver.)

So, the MOTU 828x seems like the best solution to me; I have a lot of hardware synths that I record at once, with guitar and vocals on the front inputs, it's the perfect solution!

10. BigRed1 macrumors 6502

I didn't know about that one. It looks nice! I had an 896HD for a long time. I really liked that one. I probably would have gotten the 8pre at a certain point if it had been firewire/usb hybrid or if it worked over thunderbolt.

11. bwhli macrumors 6502a

bwhli

I wonder why they didn't include a second TB port on the interface for chaining.

12. genshi macrumors 6502a

genshi

Because the 828x has to be last in the chain (according to MOTU.)

13. bwhli macrumors 6502a

bwhli

Okay, makes sense. Though I assume that means they can't be chained like how the old model could be chained via FW.

14. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

Chris is correct. I suspect you're running into 'MAudio' proprietary drivers as they're currently updating their Rigs from 32-64bit. I'm a ProTools and CS/Logic user...all on Mac. Up until five, maybe six years ago...ProTools/MAudio was such a PITA on my Mac I ended up with a dedicated HDD in the MacPro for Windows specifically and PCIe controller for my DSP. Everything at Avid is now in flux. I just traded in for this

"Avid 00x Family to PT|HD Thunderbolt + Omni I/O
    Item ID: HDX00x-TBOm"

I've also just received the nMP to give it a whirl and I'll be retaining old glory...my 2010 MP JIC. That said, with Thunderbolt peripherals now becoming ubiquitous across the heavy duty software makers is a HUGE Boon! I've got plenty of NAS & backup storage now with the diminutive size of the nMP. The ability to memory cache my voices for literally 'zero' latency (right now I've got 64GB RAM....& I'll be updating to 128 when $ permits...and prices are reasonable. Are you running PT or another DAW that you're using your USB sound card for?

Again, as Chris mentioned, FW options, even el cheapo Behringer UC202 for $25 work well if it's RCA you're attaching. I'm using an Edirol FA101 as my FW interface and mPro ONLY while using Avid and PT. I've also had excellent luck with the Motu828... A friend of mine uses a pair of 2012 rMBPs with the Motu and a pair of Apogee Duets. Some have issues with Apogee, I've never.

Have you...even though this sounds silly, I've done it a hundred times. Have you gone to your preferences and selected sound? Input/Output...your device? (Vs the often default to 'built in' mic?)

I should also mention I've got the UB202, Edirol/Roland as well. I've had it six years and it's phenomenal. USB, ¼", RCA, USB. Doesn't matter. It's all allowed. 2 in/2 out. The Fa101 is 10in/10out. Also USB, XLR, ¼", etc. $225, $350 respectively.
    Good luck
    J

15. DPUser macrumors 6502a

MOTU's "Magic Dave" says otherwise:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=57019&hilit=dave#p480599