Any good apps from the Mac App Store

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lovedakota, Jun 10, 2011.

1. lovedakota macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, I just got a MacBook Pro and I would like to get some stuff from the Mac App Store. And I am having a bit of a hard time finding some interesting apps for the Mac. I would really like to know about free apps, but anything under $10 is fine. Do you know of any good apps or games that u should have?

2. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

...a bit of a clue as to what sort of App you are after would be most welcome. You don't just buy Apps for the sake of it, you buy them because you like/need them.

Oh well, may as well recommend BioShock. It's a good game, maybe a bit over your budget, but certainly enjoyable.

3. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

Yeah you might want to include a category or maybe a game you're looking for. But to keep things simple, I use FaceTime, Caffeine, and Mixtab. Caffeine for keeping the display from going to sleep and Mixtab has great news and information depending on the topics you choose.

4. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

I've recently stumbled upon two cool apps on the Mac App store.

CrazyText [free] (stylizes any text you enter or paste to variety of styles, including backwards and upside down. Lots of fun)
    Example:
    Any good apps from the Mac App Store
    Ⓐⓝⓨ ⓖⓞⓞⓓ ⓐⓟⓟⓢ ⓕⓡⓞⓜ ⓣⓗⓔ Ⓜⓐⓒ Ⓐⓟⓟ Ⓢⓣⓞⓡⓔ
    Auʎ ƃoop ɐdds ɟɹoɯ ʇɥǝ Mɐɔ Add Sʇoɹǝ
    An̸y̸ g̸o̸o̸d̸ a̸p̸p̸s̸ f̸r̸o̸m̸ t̸h̸e̸ Ma̸c̸ Ap̸p̸ St̸o̸r̸e̸
    ΔΠΨ GΩΩD ΔPPS ҒRΩM THΣ MΔC ΔPP STΩRΣ
    λ₦¥ GØØÐ λPP$ ₣ƦØM ŦҤE Mλ₡ λPP $ŦØƦE
    erotS ppA caM eht morf sppa doog ynA
    etc.. :D

Photo2Text [free] (shapes photos with text)

These are effectively useless, but they're cool nonetheless; and they're free. Can't hurt to try, can it?

Attached Files:

5. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

There's an app I couldn't live without which is called "CloudApp." It's not known to most people, it's basically a small cloud icon in your status bar next to the clock. If you drag a file on top of it, it gets uploaded to their servers and as soon as it's done, copies right into your clipboard. The easiest and fastest way to share files with people, they also provide you with a shortened link of the file. There are also more uses to it, but that's the main one.

CloudApp

Likewise, another great app I use on a daily basis is BetterTouchTool. It allows me to configure custom trackpad gestures and assign them to whatever I want them to do for me (ie. triangle gesture plays or stops iTunes).

There are many more, I'll include a last one-- gfxCardStatus, very useful for any MacBook user as it allows you to switch between GPU or intel graphics in order to save battery power. You can also configure it to automatically switch to GPU when on battery, dynamic, intel, when not charging, etc.

These are all utility apps which I found on the dev's website, none of these did I download from the App Store, just to clarify. They are all free.

6. Nikh macrumors regular

If you are interested in to-do list managing software, you may like ToDo Lists application, it is only $3.99.

Actually, I'm using it as well to track all tasks and projects/activities.

7. onekerato macrumors regular

A few great Apps from Mac App Store

MPlayerX
    elegant video player, supports many formats. more stable than VLC & not bloated. free.

wunderlist
    free app to sync lists between iOS and macs. beautiful interface.

quickcal
    create ical entries using free-form english text eg "dinner at 7pm tomorrow"

day one
    maintain a journal, syncs via dropbox to companion iOS app. periodically reminds you to add a quick journal entry.

folderwatch
    set up a sync between a local folder and remote folder. elegant. simple.

neu
    hit a shortcut key to quickly create a new document in a finder window (text, rich text, or any other blank file template)

dropcopy
    easily send files over the wifi network to other macs. OS X Lion's airdrop feature might make this redundant.

novabench
    new mac? find out how fast it is.

remotesnap
    free companion app for iOS app of the same name. click an image on your iphone or ipod touch and it instantly transmits it over wifi to your mac. click, click, click. and now you have a portable scanner.

space gremlin
    see what's using up space on your disk

PDFOutliner $5
    automatically add a table of contents to any PDF. disclaimer - i'm the developer of this app.